Really hot after shut off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi,
So irecently replaced the heater core in my truck, and just before that the intake manifold gasket as it was leaking coolant.
So, now no coolant leaks.
But, Whenever i stop and shut the truck off, the temp with go up to around 210-215
Temp is 160-190 driving around town, perfectly normal
Why would it do this?

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Maybe a tad low on coolant and when it's turned off the water settles and steam rises up the sending unit. Steam is hotter than boiling water. Just a thought.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You should do a good flush and see if it persists?

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
That's normal. When the engine is running the water pump is circulating the water throughout the block. And cooling it thrue the radiator. When you shut it off the cooling factor goes away and it's still water. So the heat will collect. Then when you start it back up you circulate and add the cooling factor.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
2X what Driver4r said

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
That's normal. When the engine is running the water pump is circulating the water throughout the block. And cooling it thrue the radiator. When you shut it off the cooling factor goes away and it's still water. So the heat will collect. Then when you start it back up you circulate and add the cooling factor.

Just the issue i have with this, is before i did anything thatd affect the coolant, it would only hit around 200 or so off, and i didnt fill the coolant while running it since i did the heater core, so its probably a tad low im thinking

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
norm...

Sent from the dust in front of you!

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just the issue i have with this, is before i did anything thatd affect the coolant, it would only hit around 200 or so off, and i didnt fill the coolant while running it since i did the heater core, so its probably a tad low im thinking

Cooling system are a closed and pressurized system. When you change one component other areas can become weak or work properly.

When no swapped the radiator and thermostat in my truck the next thing I knew my heater core failed.

Once I change that I should be good but I have 2 heater hoses and a water pump which could give me grief.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Cooling system are a closed and pressurized system. When you change one component other areas can become weak or work properly.

When no swapped the radiator and thermostat in my truck the next thing I knew my heater core failed.

Once I change that I should be good but I have 2 heater hoses and a water pump which could give me grief.

Canadian Tire has those heater hoses for cheap. They come in a package with 5ft of both sizes.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The core of the engine (pistons, bores) is hot when running, and that heat is conducting away through the water jacket, which is being circulated through the radiator. So in the steady state while running, the engine core is much hotter than the water jacket.

When you shut the engine off, that heat in the engine core conducts out to the water jacket as before, but there is no circulation now to take the heat away. There is also no new heat being generated in the core, so it averages out pretty quickly, but that is what you are seeing.

My electric fans hardly ever run. Mostly just when I am idling at a light on a hot day. But about 10 seconds after I stop the truck and turn the key off, the fans kick on for about ten seconds.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
This^^^

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
The core of the engine (pistons, bores) is hot when running, and that heat is conducting away through the water jacket, which is being circulated through the radiator. So in the steady state while running, the engine core is much hotter than the water jacket.

When you shut the engine off, that heat in the engine core conducts out to the water jacket as before, but there is no circulation now to take the heat away. There is also no new heat being generated in the core, so it averages out pretty quickly, but that is what you are seeing.

My electric fans hardly ever run. Mostly just when I am idling at a light on a hot day. But about 10 seconds after I stop the truck and turn the key off, the fans kick on for about ten seconds.

Pretty much what I said

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Pretty much what I said

Understood. We are both describing the same reality, which we both understand. I just phrased it a little differently, in the way I think about it. I thought an additional explanation might help the OP because he indicated he couldn't understand why it would happen.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
Understood. We are both describing the same reality, which we both understand. I just phrased it a little differently, in the way I think about it. I thought an additional explanation might help the OP because he indicated he couldn't understand why it would happen.

True true

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1