Random Diff Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
That’s fantastic.
This sets a standard for just how bad a gear can be setup and still “function”. Did it make noise before you opened it? Or did it wear is self in to the point it was actually silent?

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
No noises. I've driven it around the yard but haven't gone highway speed yet. I bought the truck and trailered it home. I finished the engine swap and now I'm going through and doing the little maintenance items before I put it on the road.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
No noises. I've driven it around the yard but haven't gone highway speed yet. I bought the truck and trailered it home. I finished the engine swap and now I'm going through and doing the little maintenance items before I put it on the road.

Little maintenance often opens a can of worms...

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Little maintenance often opens a can of worms...
at least his can of worms popped open in the driveway at home with a drain pan rather than an uncontrolled explosive device 80mph on the freeway 15 miles from home at night

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Everything I touch on this truck turns into a can of worms. I'm somewhere between a barrel of worms and an industrial scale nightcrawler farmer at this point.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Man, the person that worked on this truck before me was truly an axle savant. I have two more questions to add to the list.

Is this collar/washer just a part of the bad oil seal? Or is it a separate part I need to replace?

What is the procedure to seat the pinion nut? I must have cleaned off my marks I made before I took it apart.

The manual I'm looking at shows the initial setup procedure. It says to torque but until it takes 10 lb-in to set the bearing, then torque to 220 lb-ft, and check for 20-40 lb-in drag. I'm thinking a few ugga duggas with the impact and check for pinion slop and minimal drag. I don't have a beam style torque wrench handy.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
I guess it would help if I uploaded the photos. I think the part is the "slinger" according to the diagram I found.

You must be registered for see images attach

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
The slinger is just to help keep dirt and water away from the seal. If you can't beat that one back into shape Id replace it. But as long as it isn't loose on the yoke you can reuse it.

As far as the pinion preload, you can do it right with the proper tools and a new crush collar, or you can wing it with the old one. Lots of locktite and torque it up to 120 - 150 or so, without adding more crush and you may get lucky. I don't recommend it though.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I think that's why they have carriers for higher gears upto 3.50s and lower gears of 3.73s.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
I just replaced the oil seal due to it leaking. I don't want to ram in the old, damaged slinger if I can help it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris