Random Diff Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Ever seen a pinion so poorly adjusted and/or the wrong carrier installed such that the pinion machines the carrier?

Does anyone know if ring gears have the date of manufacturer stamped in them? I'm trying to ascertain what year my axles are and both front and rear ring gears have a 73 stamped.

Anyone have a list of the BOM for a Dana 44? The Dana expert tool on their website seems to be down. I pulled what I think is the BOM for my axle but can't find anywhere to look it up.

You must be registered for see images attach

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Dana gears DOM 8/22/73. Ratio 48-14= 3.42
GM gears Part # 381779 Ratio 14-48= 3.42 DOM 12/73

Last edited:

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Ignoring the noise from that rear end when driving the first time...priceless. Well I think it's time for some new parts.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Was the pinion/carrier pattern correct? :D

I don't know anything about Dana diffs, but I wonder if the carrier was made for a gear set with a smaller pinion, like a 3.7x or 4.1x. ???

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Are you reading the gear ratio from the bill of material? The numbers stamped on the ring actually say 43:14 so 3.07. I was also interested to see if it says anything about locker or LSD. It's an open diff as far as I can tell for the front Dana 44.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Ignoring the noise from that rear end when driving the first time...priceless. Well I think it's time for some new parts.

I know right? not only did they hear it but they changed the fluid after the fact and still slammed it back together. There was absolutely no metal in the diff fluid and it looked great.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Was the pinion/carrier pattern correct? :D

I don't know anything about Dana diffs, but I wonder if the carrier was made for a gear set with a smaller pinion, like a 3.7x or 4.1x. ???

Yeah, I'm not going through the effort to check the backlash or paint these gears to see the wear pattern. I'm sure it would just make my head hurt worse than it already does.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Yeah, I'm not going through the effort to check the backlash or paint these gears to see the wear pattern. I'm sure it would just make my head hurt worse than it already does.

Possibly someone didn't press the pinion bearing down all the way???

That's not just .01 or .030 off on the depth, it's like a whole 1/4 off Wtf

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Yeah, I'm not sure if that needs more shims to pull the pinion further towards the drive shaft or less shims on the inside. Not very familiar with the 12 bolt truck axle.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Are you reading the gear ratio from the bill of material? The numbers stamped on the ring actually say 43:14 so 3.07.

It looked like an 48, but if it's a 43 it makes more sense. The Dana part number kept coming up as a 3.07 gear set.

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
Ever seen a pinion so poorly adjusted and/or the wrong carrier installed such that the pinion machines the carrier?

Does anyone know if ring gears have the date of manufacturer stamped in them? I'm trying to ascertain what year my axles are and both front and rear ring gears have a 73 stamped.

Anyone have a list of the BOM for a Dana 44? The Dana expert tool on their website seems to be down. I pulled what I think is the BOM for my axle but can't find anywhere to look it up.

I cant see someone setting up a diff that bad, is it possible the pinion bearing is loose enough to let the pinion climb and hit the carrier.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
I cant see someone setting up a diff that bad, is it possible the pinion bearing is loose enough to let the pinion climb and hit the carrier.

I wish that was the case but it's not. Everything is tight. Nothing is loose. And there is no metal shavings in the diff fluid. Whatever problem it had was corrected in the past but they didn't take the time to replace the carrier.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I wish that was the case but it's not. Everything is tight. Nothing is loose. And there is no metal shavings in the diff fluid. Whatever problem it had was corrected in the past but they didn't take the time to replace the carrier.
i mean, im not familiar with what exactly it is in starter or gear meshes like t case or diff, but i know someoone who put a SBC starter in a truck and they didnt know the term backlash or do anything other than unbolt or bolt in the new one.

is that out of realm of possibility for rear gears?
edit:
he definitely didnt do it right, to be sure. but i guess never discount the ability for someone to do something very stupid and be very confident in how perfect or fine it was, even despite physical evidence to the contrary.
such as the person i know, his truck really shrieks in pain when starting

Last edited:

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
i mean, im not familiar with what exactly it is in starter or gear meshes like t case or diff, but i know someoone who put a SBC starter in a truck and they didnt know the term backlash or do anything other than unbolt or bolt in the new one.

is that out of realm of possibility for rear gears?
edit:
he definitely didnt do it right, to be sure. but i guess never discount the ability for someone to do something very stupid and be very confident in how perfect or fine it was, even despite physical evidence to the contrary.
such as the person i know, his truck really shrieks in pain when starting

Yeah. That would have sounded really bad.

Here is a full video if you want a detailed description.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

A much shorter version that just shows side shim backlash is here.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69