Radiator leak how to fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350 TBI
I was wondering if any body has used radiator stop leak or know how to solder or welder a radiator and what equipment is needed any help is greatly appreciated

firefighter-emt03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 suburban
Engine Size
I had a slow leak in mine also. I tried the stop leak it worked for a week then came back worse. I soldered it but it sprung a leak elsewhere in the radiator. If its leaking in one place than more than likely have other weak spot waiting to go. I changed mine with a new one from oreilys auto. $136 i belive in stock and drop in.. it takes away the worry of a possible old clogged radiator. Well worth the money

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Where is the leak and what was the cause?

Due to fitment issues with the aftermarket units, I have been soldering OEM (brass/copper) radiators for awhile now.

It really isn't as big of a deal as they make it seem. As long as the watersides are clean they are worth saving.

And even if the internal passages are restricted with deposits don't immediately junk it. These radiators are extremely heavy duty and can be chemically cleaned using a good CLR type product (ZEP's Calcium Lime & Rust Remover is outstanding - and cheap at Home Depot).

The cleaning process is like this:

have used CLR and Bar Keepers Friend (the BKF needs to be mixed with hot water to get it into solution) to clean radiators several times with no ill effects.

I started doing this because the radiators were original - OEM with brass tanks and copper tubes. They were beautiful - had no leaks and the fins were all there. Looked great form the outside.

But inside was another story, the tube ends (where soldered to the tanks) were so fouled that flow was being restricted. The watersides of the tanks were encrusted with deposits as well (so the assumption was that the inner walls of the tubes were in similar condition).

There are no more radiator shops around here, so I decided to "boil" them out myself. Nothing to lose; otherwise they would have been junked.

I have only done this with the radiator out of the truck and lying flat (outside and on a wooden picnic table). Radiator cap is on and the small connection to the expansion tank is capped

Pour a whole quart of CLR into the radiator and top off with city water. I use ZEP brand - it has a higher concentration of acid (hydrochloric & sulfamic) than the big name brand. If using Bar Keepers Friend (oxalic acid) mix half a can of powder into warm water and stir until you have a solution that can be poured.

Let it sit for hours. When you want to check the progress, dump the acid/water out (save it in a bucket - it still has plenty of life). Using a garden hose at full flow, flush the waterside out. Go in both directions. Lift and shake a couple of times. When no more deposits are getting flushed out, pour the acid back into the radiator. It helps if you filter the re-used solution through a piece of window screen or similar.

With several applications (dump and flush with clean water between) the deposits will be gone and the copper and brass will be a golden color.

When satisfied that you have clean surfaces and will get good heat transfer/coolant flow, do a final long flush to get any remaining acid out. If it makes you feel better, you can use baking soda to neutralize.

This is only for a last resort on old-style brass/copper radiators. I wouldn't waste the time on the new aluminum ones with plastic tanks.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2954

The soldering process varies depending on where the leak is. But wherever the repair is to be done - success is all about preparation.

Cut away the fins in the surrounding area to expose the repair area. Use a pair of scissors and a utility knife. The reduction of heat exchange capacity due to removing a couple of square inches of fin will be minimal.

Clean the area to be soldered with a wire brush (brass bristles/toothbrush sized is great).

After using the wire brush to meticuously remove any paint, oil/grease or leaked deposits, use a solvent to further clean the repair spot.

Wash the entire area down with a solvent that leaves no residue. I use Brakleen (red not green) but carb cleaner will work - as will acetone or MEK.

NOTE : AFTER USING ANY FLAMMABLE SOLVENT TO PREP THE AREA FOR SOLDERING, IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT THE RADIATOR BE BLOWN OUT WITH AIR TILL COMPLETELY DRY. IF ANY REMAINING SOLVENT IS EXPOSED TO THE TORCH FLAME IT WILL FLAME UP AND MAY EVEN EXPLODE!

After the area is clean, liberally apply flux. Be sure to brush the flux down into the crack/hole. Use regular 95/5 plumbing solder for this process.

Then, using a propane torch with a small tip, gently apply heat to the repair area. Keep touching the solder to the tube (or tank as the case may be) until it flows. Remove the flame and fill the hole with solder. Only apply more heat as needed.

When the crack/hole is filled in and covered over, bring the flame back to the repaired area and reflow the solder one more time.

Fill the radiator with water and check for leakage.

If desired coat the repair and surrounding area with Rustoleum's Rust Reformer.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That Alumaseal powder has worked good for me over the years on minor radiator leaks. Anything else I tried was garbage and clogged everything up, stuck to the water jackets, etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06