Rack and pinion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xman

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Has anyone installed rack and pinion steering on their truck? I just completed a 4" front drop along with a 5" flip kit. My only real complaint is the steering which may be due to the alignment. I used a rack and pinion in my 65 Corvette and am very pleased with the improvement. Looking for assistance from anyone that has a similar setup. I dropped the front with DJM 3" spindles along with CPP Totally Tubular A-arms upper and lower. The truck did not have a sway bar and I have added a 1 1/8" bar. I hope there would not be problems installing the new steering system. The truck seems to wander around on the road and I'm thinking the steering box may be worn a little.

SkinnyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
350/TH350
If you haven't done an alignment since you lowered it, get that done first, then decide.

There's lot of rules-of-thumb out there for helping to pick the correct rack width and height, but decide first if you want to go down that road.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If there's a lot of play in the steering wheel then it's the steering box, but if there's no excess play then it's the alignment, Caster forces the front to go straight if it wanders you need more Caster, also if you have Toe-Out it will make it wander. Personally I would not put a rack on these trucks don't need it, a good alignment is all that's needed.. JMWO..

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
If there's a lot of play in the steering wheel then it's the steering box, but if there's no excess play then it's the alignment, Caster forces the front to go straight if it wanders you need more Caster, also if you have Toe-Out it will make it wander. Personally I would not put a rack on these trucks don't need it, a good alignment is all that's needed.. JMWO..
<- That. And dump the rag joint in favor of a Jeep XJ steering shaft.

Last edited:

Xman

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Thanks for the info. I had good luck with the rack & pinion on my Vette. I will look into the Jeep steering shaft. I also will have another shop look at the current alignment. It seems to track fine just has a wandering problem and seems I need to turn the wheel a bit more than needed. Is there a way to tighten up the existing steering box? If not maybe a quicker ration steering box. Going to check eBay for the Jeep XJ steering shaft. Would that be a direct bolt in? Thanks again.

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
PDF'd section from the GM shop manual on the steering box adjustments (2 adjustments to make) -> http://www.bacliffrv.com/TruckParts

I prefer to tackle these adjustments with the box out of the truck and on a bench. If the box is out, you might as well consider a quality rebuilt unit, RockAuto had some good performing "rebuilt by GM" boxes a few months ago for cheap.

The Jeep XJ steering shaft is easy to install, details on this sticky: http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1812&page=17

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks for the info. I had good luck with the rack & pinion on my Vette. I will look into the Jeep steering shaft. I also will have another shop look at the current alignment. It seems to track fine just has a wandering problem and seems I need to turn the wheel a bit more than needed. Is there a way to tighten up the existing steering box? If not maybe a quicker ration steering box. Going to check eBay for the Jeep XJ steering shaft. Would that be a direct bolt in? Thanks again.
With the vehicle sitting stationary you should only have about 1" freeplay in the steering wheel, if you ave quite a bit more then the box is worn and it's time for a new or rebuilt unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe