Quick rear 10bolt question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Corpse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ramon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
Ok. My 83 k5 6.2l is stock with 33's... I know how to check for an open diff (raise truck, turn one wheel and the opposing wheel will turn the opposite direction... Right?)

Anyway. What do you guys recommend for the rear diff? A "lunchbox" is what i hear is cheap(dunno what that is though, do i just take my 80s transformer lunch box and cram it into the diff?!)

This is my first 4x4 so i am unaware of proper use of these manual locking hubs and i figure living in the city we dont get too much snow. So since im use to driving rwd trucks i think i can get by in 2wd since this owners manual says not to use 4wd on dry pavement.

So... We clear as mud?!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You should kick in the 4 wheel drive time to time to keep things lubed and kosher in the front drive line. You can do that without engaging the hubs. I usually do it once a month and drive a short distance.

Corpse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ramon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
I've never used it. How will i know its working without getting stuck and spinning tires?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
With wheels spinning opposite direction, that just means it does not have a locker and some LSD units. G80 Gov Lock for example will spin opposite also.

Doesn't sound like you have any intent of wheeling, so a lunchbox with 33's might work for you.

Corpse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ramon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
I dont plan.on wheeling.till next spring/summer once i have everything fixed up. Just right now its my daily driver... I plan on having 6" lift, 37s, banks turbo on a j code plus an nv4500 with a d60/corp14... But like i said right now its my daily and in just working on paying off my debts first.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This sounds like an impressive bulld to be watching. I must say too, you've redeemed yourself with that plan.
I was thinking, WTH is this Yuppie doing with a damn K5. :rofl: if all he's gonna do it chase groceries with it, so he don't need no damn locker or lsd of any kind and never gonna use the 4wd.

If all you've got to do is make thru til next summer before you start doing axle swaps and things of that nature, I'd probably just save my cash and just drive it for now. You can about buy your 6in lift kit. And you'll never get your money out of a 10bolt with a lunchbox next year when you're done with it.

Do you have your RPO code sticker in the glove box You might even have the G80 Locking Diff. If you don't have that, visit the Library here on GMSB and find your rear axle code on the axle tube and look it up. It'll tell you what gear ratio and if it's open or G80 provided it's the OE rear end.

Corpse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ramon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
No rpo sticker... Ill check out the axle in the day light... Yuppie eh? I dont know of any yuppies that work two jobs and spend more time wrenching on their toys than actually using them... Just saying

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You can find the axle code, but it's an old truck and it could have had another carrier or something swapped in. It would be best to remove the diff cover and see what's in there.

Being an '83 you should have an NP208 transfer case that is a part-time case. So, in the winter you can leave the hubs locked all the time, then just shift it into 4HI when you need 4x4.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
No rpo sticker... Ill check out the axle in the day light... Yuppie eh? I dont know of any yuppies that work two jobs and spend more time wrenching on their toys than actually using them... Just saying

:bowroflwerd6::bowroflwerd6::bowroflwerd6: I'll agree with that. Don't sweat it. You fit in just fine here. You just had me scared for a minute.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06