Question about removing belts...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevyguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 Litre
the belts on my truck I think are the ones that were on it when I got it. I'll replace them when they break (or get very close to it), only takes a minute or two, not exactly a big ordeal even if forced to do it in a parking lot somewhere. Not like a tire that could blow out and cause an accident. I don't care if they're 5 years old or 50 years old, if they work they work I'm not going to throw out a usable part like it has an expiration date lol.
Last time I had to replace a belt I had a 3-piece suit on and it wasn't my car and it was raining. Working in shops I've seen belts break and cause damage to other expensive engine parts. The newer serpentine belts don't even crack, you measure the rib depth with a special measurement guage tool. When they wear out they usually cause runability problems due to voltage loss, or accessory bearing failure.

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

Michael Benardo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 25
Engine Size
292 Cubes
First off, i'm not the most experienced mechanic but I can figure out most of the basics ... this one has me stumped. My 89 R3500 has a 7.4 with AC and smog pump. My power steering pump decided to start leaking very bad so I wanted to replace this myself. I have to remove the belts to get the pump/pulley off and I figured i'd replace all three belts while i'm at it (Alt/Fan/Smog pump belt, Power Steering pump belt, and AC belt). I've replaced belts on some of my older jeeps no problem using a straight forward using the tension pulley. I cannot seem to locate a tension pulley on this truck! Am I blind or do I need to take a different approach to remove and install belts? My google-fu has failed me on this one.

Thanks!
There is no tension pulley on most pre-Serpantine Belt vehicles. You normally pry against that particular accessory, tightening the belt only so that it has about 1/2 inch easy play, NO TIGHTER, OR ELSE YOU CAN RUIN THE ACCESSORY, or your water pump. The Power Steering pump is trickier though, as it has a sheet-metal body. Try to pry between the pulley and something else. Again, do not over tighten the belt.

89square

Reaction score
First Name
Willy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Truck
Engine Size
The only tensioners you have on the V-Belts is an "Armstrong" tensioner (depends how strong your arms are). You do one at a time starting with the inner most one.

On things like the A/C compressor you'll have a 1/2" square drive hole for putting a 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar on it to put tension on it while snuggling up the bracket bolts.
On things like the alt. there's usually an oval hole in the bracket that you can use to get a pry bar into to lever against the alt. to tension the belts.
The PS pump is purely being creative with a pry bar between the frame and the pump brackets somehow.

Sometimes you need to use a little creative thinking and imagination to figure that **** out. That's how its done old school.

Ha, this ended up being very true. I finally got the belts replaced and the new power steering pump in and bled. It was a much bigger task than I originally thought and I had to get creative a few times. I feel like I could do it again much faster now that I learned a few tricks. I was able to get a good angle on the top of the power steering pump bracket and just push down on it while tightening the brackets. Re-mounting the new power steering pump was a pain but I finally got it after quite a bit of struggle. There's one pesky bolt holding the pump to the mount behind the Pulley, it was easy to remove, but almost impossible to get back on with the pulley installed. Ended up ripping it out again and put it back on without the pulley, I had just enough room by the fan to use the pulley installer tool while the pump was installed.

Last edited:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Ha, this ended up being very true. I finally got the belts replaced and the new power steering pump in and bled. It was a much bigger task than I originally thought and I had to get creative a few times. I feel like I could do it again much faster now that I learned a few tricks. I was able to get a good angle on the top of the power steering pump bracket and just push down on it while tightening the brackets. Re-mounting the new power steering pump was a pain but I finally got it after quite a bit of struggle. There's one pesky bolt holding the pump to the mount behind the Pulley, it was easy to remove, but almost impossible to get back on with the pulley installed. Ended up ripping it out again and put it back on with the pulley, I had just enough room by the fan to use the pulley installer tool while the pump was installed.

Good work

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
So anyway, if you dropped the cat from somewhere really high would it be different than if you only dropped the cat 3 feet.

Not always.Mine got tossed out an upstairs patio door,landed mostly on his side and pretty quickly ran into the woods for a couple of days.Cat wasnt wasnt hurt but he shouldnt have taken a diarhea dump in the kitchen sink

@DoubleDingo already answered this in the "PCV or no PCV" post. He said when the cat is thrown, it lands how it lands.

Look, this thread is about over and not a single post about buttered toast?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
**** can the v-belts. Serpentine swap it.

Chevyguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 Litre
Ha, this ended up being very true. I finally got the belts replaced and the new power steering pump in and bled. It was a much bigger task than I originally thought and I had to get creative a few times. I feel like I could do it again much faster now that I learned a few tricks. I was able to get a good angle on the top of the power steering pump bracket and just push down on it while tightening the brackets. Re-mounting the new power steering pump was a pain but I finally got it after quite a bit of struggle. There's one pesky bolt holding the pump to the mount behind the Pulley, it was easy to remove, but almost impossible to get back on with the pulley installed. Ended up ripping it out again and put it back on with the pulley, I had just enough room by the fan to use the pulley installer tool while the pump was installed.
This is why I converted mine over to the newer serpentine system. Plus it upgraded my charging system to 105 amps, originally mine came with an 80 amp alternator. I got everything I needed off a 92 GMC C1500 Sierra at my local wrecking yard.

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I prefer the butter the cook uses at the Waffle House on my toast.Not that little tub butter junk

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
@DoubleDingo already answered this in the "PCV or no PCV" post. He said when the cat is thrown, it lands how it lands.

Look, this thread is about over and not a single post about buttered toast?

Now we know. P.S. of there is not a cat and buttered toast come back and try again this you tube link is kinda unpredictable.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
-Sent free from TextNow.com

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Why not? I get blamed for everything. I'm not ashamed, I'm proud.

I don't think anyone was blaming anybody at all, but if we are going to switch from dropping cats to throwing cats, that should be a new thread.

Someone needs to check up on Rusty,Something's wrong,I had to put up the cat video. This just isn't right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400