Question about removing belts...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevyguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 Litre
In the very first post, he said he wanted to replace all THREE BELTS. Never have seen a 3 belt serp system.....sometimes reading can be such a bitch!!!
Somebody swapped an older motor into that truck that had the older v-belt system like my 87 did prior to converting it to the serpentine system.

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

Chevyguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 Litre
I'm gonna get my moneys worth out of every part I have this way.lol
Not worth it to me. If the belts over 5 years old it's getting replaced.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

How many miles traveled in 5 years?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
So anyway, if you dropped the cat from somewhere really high would it be different than if you only dropped the cat 3 feet.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Doesn't matter, belts dry rot.

Never had belts rot in 5 years.Some folks are just overly skeered and have too much money.lol. Todays quality belts are made from epdm synthetic rubber,resisist drying and cracking and heat.Even serpentine belts dont crack and dry like they did since being made from epdm rubber. One those after a lot of miles you can judge the wear by how deep the belt grooves are worn and replace accordingly

Last edited:

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI

the belts on my truck I think are the ones that were on it when I got it. I'll replace them when they break (or get very close to it), only takes a minute or two, not exactly a big ordeal even if forced to do it in a parking lot somewhere. Not like a tire that could blow out and cause an accident. I don't care if they're 5 years old or 50 years old, if they work they work I'm not going to throw out a usable part like it has an expiration date lol.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
This is it! It seems so obvious now, but I've never had to deal with it before. Looks like I have to loosen the alternator to get that one off, and then the PS pump and the then the AC compressor. They each have a sliding adjustment bracket for adjusting the tension for each belt. I finally watched enough youtube videos last-night to figure it out ha!.
You had me confused too. I read serpentine and assumed you had one belt. My first response was to loosen each accessory the belt ran that's what tightens then. Then looking at the model year I thought maybe it was seprentine cause you were talking about a tensioner soi told you how to find one. Haha

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Never had belts rot in 5 years.Some folks are just overly skeered and have too much money.lol. Todays quality belts are made from epdm synthetic rubber,resisist drying and cracking and heat.Even serpentine belts dont crack and dry like they did since being made from epdm rubber. One those after a lot of miles you can judge the wear by how deep the belt grooves are worn and replace accordingly
I had my 2 belts off to do the water pump and timing set. One of the ones I looked at I pulled was pretty cracked , not deep or no where near looking like it would bust. But I think there 3 years old.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
the belts on my truck I think are the ones that were on it when I got it. I'll replace them when they break (or get very close to it), only takes a minute or two, not exactly a big ordeal even if forced to do it in a parking lot somewhere. Not like a tire that could blow out and cause an accident. I don't care if they're 5 years old or 50 years old, if they work they work I'm not going to throw out a usable part like it has an expiration date lol.
As long as you always have the tools, time and the spare that's not a problem

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So anyway, if you dropped the cat from somewhere really high would it be different than if you only dropped the cat 3 feet.
Not always.Mine got tossed out an upstairs patio door,landed mostly on his side and pretty quickly ran into the woods for a couple of days.Cat wasnt wasnt hurt but he shouldnt have taken a diarhea dump in the kitchen sink

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sahara