Putting 35's on with a 700r4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi,
Ive asked this question before, i have an 83 k10 a '90 350 with assumably same year 700r4, mated to a np208 with probably 3.something gearing in the rearend.
In 3rd gear, not overdrive, doing 65 i turn about 3000 rpm, so im guessing somewhere around 3.50ish (I know its not an actual ratio, just saying its a number around there).

Have 33's on it at the moment with a 4 inch lift
Really want 35's.
In the near future ill be replacing my pads and calipers, installing new manual hubs (converting from auto), and in the meantime replacing the wheel and spindle bearings. Plan on throwing some 1.5 wheel spacers (actual good ones, had friends have success with rough country for one, maybe something else) on the front, and 2 inch on the back... if i feel like it ill go with 2 on the front too, dont know yet just might go with the different ones to correct the shorter rear axle.

So, i plan on that but feel the 33/12.5's will look too small sticking out like that... i feel they look small how they are, so if thats the case im putting 35's on, wheels on it now are 10 inches diameter, ill probably go with something wider for the 35's.

With all that said, what would i need for 35's? Ive been told ill soon burn up my transmission if i just put them on, so i have planned on adding a larger trans cooler, would that be all i need?
If so, where would be a good place to put it? Would it be too big to put directly infront of the radiator, and block too much airflow to cool the engine?

Thanks!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
how the F do you have over 3200 posts????

LMAO cause Im to lazy to work on my truck lol As you can see by my rep count no one appreciates my input either:whymewhyme:

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I've seen that thread, just have been too lazy to go check... Although i cant say that helps my question

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
This might be easier...
http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
You want around 1800 at 65 mph on overdrive if you want it close to stock.

Edit: sorry, re-read your question. 4.11s would be good. There are inherent weaknesses with the 700R4, short of building the **** out of it changing the gear ratio seems to be the biggest help. An additional cooler shouldn't be necessary in your area. Just remember to run in 3rd if you're pulling a load or you notice it hunting for a gear on a highway hill or something.

Last edited:

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
You said you wanted 35s so...

Oh, sorry, i mustve missed your edit or posted that before or something, i thought it was a link to find out my current gear ratio

So i'd be fine with something around 4.11's+ if i choose to put 35's on?

And yea, i never really go fast enough most of the time to need to get out of 3rd, it does what i need

Fastereddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
4.56 is what you need

Youll want 4.56 gears with those 35's
Youre trans wont last without em.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Oh, sorry, i mustve missed your edit or posted that before or something, i thought it was a link to find out my current gear ratio

So i'd be fine with something around 4.11's+ if i choose to put 35's on?

And yea, i never really go fast enough most of the time to need to get out of 3rd, it does what i need

Ya 4:10s/4;11s Minimum!!! for 35s and a 700r4

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Youll want 4.56 gears with those 35's
Youre trans wont last without em.

Ive been thinking more and more that yes 4:56s would be ideal with a 700r4 and 33-35" rubber.

I would like to have my OD rpm at around 2500-2700 RPM at 70 mph. That way in town it would work so much better for those 40 and 50 mph areas. And would definitely make it so much easier for the 700r4 to do its job and get going with out any stress at all. Plus it would feel so effortless to get it up to speed. Especially with 33s

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
This might be easier...
http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
You want around 1800 at 65 mph on overdrive if you want it close to stock.

Edit: sorry, re-read your question. 4.11s would be good. There are inherent weaknesses with the 700R4, short of building the **** out of it changing the gear ratio seems to be the biggest help. An additional cooler shouldn't be necessary in your area. Just remember to run in 3rd if you're pulling a load or you notice it hunting for a gear on a highway hill or something.

IMO I consider a good auxiliary cooler mandatory for a 700r4 regardless of where you live.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
LMAO cause Im to lazy to work on my truck lol As you can see by my rep count no one appreciates my input either:whymewhyme:

Thanks for the laugh! I know the feeling too about the input.. I am going back to the sidelines to watch quietly.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64