Pulling to the right when braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Ok, so I have replaced both calipers, both brake lines, master cylinder, and still it pulls right. Its not bad if your slowing down easy, but don't drive it over 35mph and the try to stop hard, its down right scary. Proportioning valve maybe????

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
How are your tie rod ends and ball joints?

Worn front end (suspension and steering) parts can also cause a steering wheel pull while braking. Also a loose wheel bearing can cause pull.

But you probably already knew that.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
worn front end parts, tire pressure, alignment. how about the rears? could have got bad parts also. highdesertranger

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Tie rods, drag link, and bearings are new, my ball joints are original, but they seem to be in good shape. My truck has been doing this pulling even before the lift an tires. Its not getting any worse, but its not getting better with new parts.

jt1200r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
4.3/th400/3.08
check your rear brakes. the adjusters probably arent working correctly. mine would do that and i would adjust the left rear and it would stop pulling

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
If everything seems okay up front (brakes, steering & suspension), look at the rear end - as jt1200r suggests.

From GM's brake "Fundamentals and Basics" for their service techs. I deleted everything you have already covered:

Brake Pull

REAR DRUM BRAKES

Causes

•Right and left side brakes not evenly adjusted.

•Brake linings contaminated with brake fluid, gear oil or wheel bearing grease.

•Uneven tire pressures or tire size. Tire pressure and width directly affect the braking ability of each wheel. Uneven pressures and widths will result in uneven braking.

•Wheel cylinder seized. A faulty wheel-cylinder can cause uneven braking by failure to apply or to release pressure.

•Brake hose restricted or pinched.

What to Check For:

•Verify that all four tires are the same size and that they are properly inflated.

•Inspect all brake lines leading from the master-cylinder to the calipers for evidence of pinching or deterioration.

•Back off the brake shoe adjustment on each side and readjust. After the brake adjustment has been made, firmly depress the brake pedal several times to seat and center the shoes, then recheck the adjustment.

•Inspect the wheel cylinders for signs of leakage or binding, replace or rebuild as necessary.

•Inspect the axle seals for signs of leakage. Gear oil leaking from the axle seal will usually be indicated by a spray pattern starting at the center of the drum and spreading outwards. If any signs of gear oil leakage are found, the shoes and seal should be replaced.

NOTE: Leakage at the axle seals is often caused by worn wheel bearings. If the vehicle has high mileage it is recommended to replace the wheel bearing along with the axle seal.

From me:

When you bleed your front brakes through the calipers; do you get a good, unrestricted flow that is about equal on both sides as the brake pedal is depressed?

Reason I ask is - you mentioned that the brake "lines" have been replaced. Does that include the steel tubing from the P/C valve out to the rubber hoses - or just the hoses?

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I have replaced the original rubber hoses with Skyjacker extended braided brake lines up front only. And yes, both sides have a good unrestricted flow, actually all four corners have good flow.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Dude my 85 did the same ****, Im curious to know what it is.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I asked in post number three about the rears. if everything up front is good then it's in the rears. unless you got a defective part. highdesertranger

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
The rears are I good shape, new drums, new cylinders, springs, shoes, and they're adjusted properly. The only thing left is the proportioning valve that's not been replaced since 86.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
well let us know if that fixes it. I have worked on thousands of chevy's and have never seen a bad p-valve. highdesertranger

jastewart25

Reaction score
First Name
Julie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
any luck finding a solution?

i just bought a 1985 and am facing the same issue. according to the mechanic, the hoses and calipers look good.

i'm afraid i will replace everything and it will still do it.

hoping you found a solution.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
any luck finding a solution?

i just bought a 1985 and am facing the same issue. according to the mechanic, the hoses and calipers look good.

i'm afraid i will replace everything and it will still do it.

hoping you found a solution.

Well, after a long and expensive endeavor(replacing tie rods, drag links bearings, calipers, steering gear, etc), it was my power steering pump. Why, I still don't have an answer for it. All I know is that I changed it out for the hell of it one day, and whola! no more pulling to the right when braking.

jastewart25

Reaction score
First Name
Julie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
interesting. thanks for the update! i'm afraid i'm in for a little trial and error.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sparky77