pulling a engine question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sidewayzz

Reaction score
First Name
steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
was wondering if was possible to pull the engine and leave the sm465 and transfer case in the truck. then sit a engine back down in the engine bay and get the input shaft back through the bearing and clutch? Looks like it would be really hard to align it. have done this on several autos. thanks for any help and suggestions in advance. Steve

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just did that with mine and I have the sm465. I don't want to get your hopes up, but mine slid right in in about 5 minutes. I have heard of it taking people several hours and smashed fingers to get them back in, but mine was absolutely no problem.

Sent from an old rotary telephone.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Just put a floor jack under the tranny at about the exact height its at maybe a little bit higher and it shouldn't be much of a problem hopefully

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Did this several years ago with a 465 equipped truck too. Another tip is to keep a socket and breaker bar or ratchet on the front of the crank, so the motor can be turned over to help align the splines when you get close. Can't tell you how relieved I was when the truck finally rolled forward an inch after wrestling with it for a couple hours.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
One of the main things is to make sure the angles match and make sure the transmission is in neutral. Another tip is to lightly paint on some white lithium grease on the input shaft, the nose of the bearing retainer on the front of the transmission, a little on the pilot bushing too. And I mean a light coating, don't get crazy and coat it heavily, it's just to help lube things up for getting the stuff back together and also to help with clutch operation. Getting them to mate up, as you can glean from the info provided, can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours. I have done a few of these and have encountered the short and long version. I have had better success solo because someone wasn't altering the angles as I was wrestling the engine around. But either way, take your time, and don't rush it. Get-er-done!!

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Yep make sure you can turn the motor over and have the trans in neutral, if you get close but are kind of struggling try wiggling the motor up and down side to side and twist it somewhat to get it in there. Once you get the dowel pins and input shaft lined up its easy from there!

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I leave the motor mounts and buckets off, gives you more wiggle room. highdesertranger

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just FYI, some people don't like them, but I used one of those carb plates bolted to the intake when I put mine back in. It really helps with getting the angles right instead of a chain bolted to the heads.

Sent from an old rotary telephone.

sidewayzz

Reaction score
First Name
steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
thanks for all the sugestions, I fiqured it could be done this way. Thanks again, steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue