PSA for TBI Owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Jimmy quit on me half a mile from the house the other day, and I knew from past experience that it was my ignition control module. For kicks, I wanted to see if the ECM threw any codes that would help bolster my diagnosis before removing the cap and module. While it was flashing codes, the SES light went dead. I checked the fuses, and my ECM-Ignition fuse was blown. It would pop them as soon as I turned the key to ON. I thought I had developed a concurrent gremlin, but it turns out the stupid house brand ignition module was doing it. Jerking that POS out of there solved the fuse blowing in the truck, and a trip to Autozone confirmed the module was no good.

Second thing, there are several replacements to choose from. Delphi makes one, and AC Delco makes two. Between the AC Delcos, one’s just the run of the mill OEM replacement (D1943A), and one’s the Professional (D1984A). I’m going with the latter. Some people have apparently had problems with the Delphi and the former Delco part so I’m not gonna take a chance. I’m pretty sure they’re made in China, by the way, and the 1984A is made here.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I am running the delco proffessional one in mine. Been good so far.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
New one was no good. It ran like a motorcycle and smelled of wet gas. It is made in this country, though. I’m disappointed, but this isn’t the first time an AC Delco module failed me out of the box.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
We presume that you did clean off the mounting area and use new heat sink grease?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
We presume that you did clean off the mounting area and use new heat sink grease?

Yes and yes. I learned my lesson from not doing that before and the HEI module failing prematurely.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Well that's a damn nuisance. I use the DelcoPro stuff too but, I have had an ACDelco module bad right out of the box myself. The other makes are just soap operas...you just never know.

Any chance it may have fried the trigger coil?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk