Precision windshield gasket too big

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bloodhound1981

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Truck is finally out of paint, the shop had a glass company come to install the windshield. I had ordered a Precision gasket set that is definitely the correct one for the truck. The glass guy (old school, been doing this a long time) says that the gasket is way too big. I found a couple threads on other forums saying the same thing, and you just have to keep working in the gasket to to the corners to take up the slack and get it to fit. I stopped by today to see for myself, and I do not see how that would be at all possible. Anyone here run into this? I will be giving Precision a call to see what they have to say. Glass shop will be ordering a gasket on their own.

You must be registered for see images attach

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Yep, it'll go. I've installed one and watched a few. It seems WAYYYYYY too long at first but you just keep working it back into the corners and it'll seat. Here's Precision's video:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
It probably fits perfect once it is worked into the corners. Probably needs to be nice and warm and soft to get it in there. Maybe you need to help the glass guy out and show him about the corners.

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
@Bloodhound1981 , Jeff Gau at precision is a great resource and will answer the phone if you call. We used the one piece gasket and it was a bear to say the least. Our problem was that it was almost too small and left large gaps on the upper cab/windshield. When it rained, water would literally pour in. Had to get the two piece gasket and that corrected our problem (just like us to have to do everything twice!)
The videos leave some stuff out that Jeff will fill you in on which was that Precision recommended putting the gasket on pinch weld with a sealer to prevent water from coming in around gasket where it connects to pinch weld (pretty big omission for us as this was our problem)
Anyway, the two piece worked well for us and we did run window sealer between gasket and frame. We have been dry for over a year now.

Jeff is good people and very helpful. Helped talk me through the vent window rebuild as well

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Not to change the subject, but has anyone used any other seals - like what does LMC sell? Local glass place I have used for decades cannot get a windshield for my SB from their supplier but said they will install it if I locate one. They have gotten a 'universal' seal on older cars before that I liked 1000x better than the original.

If I have to procure a seal, would prefer to get the glass and seal from the same place.

And OP.....that is a BEAUTIFUL truck. Need more pics. :hat:

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Truck is finally out of paint, the shop had a glass company come to install the windshield. I had ordered a Precision gasket set that is definitely the correct one for the truck. The glass guy (old school, been doing this a long time) says that the gasket is way too big. I found a couple threads on other forums saying the same thing, and you just have to keep working in the gasket to to the corners to take up the slack and get it to fit. I stopped by today to see for myself, and I do not see how that would be at all possible. Anyone here run into this? I will be giving Precision a call to see what they have to say. Glass shop will be ordering a gasket on their own.

I’ve installed a few, it’s not too big… like others have stated, you have to keep working it into the corners. At first it doesn’t seem possible but it will go! Trust me

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
Bought a LMC gasket along with the chrome trim, glass guy said it didn’t fit.
Bought months earlier, couldn’t return
A little chapped that the trim wasn’t replaced, different gasket.

Bloodhound1981

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
And OP.....that is a BEAUTIFUL truck. Need more pics. :hat:
Thanks! One of these days I'll do a build thread. I've had it since I was 14 (I'm 45 now). Did a frame off rebuild in highschool with my father, drove it for a few years. Then due to life, it sat outside for 10 years and fell apart. So this is the second frame off build in it's life, but it's taken me 11 years and I'm in the home stretch now.

Thanks for all the responses and videos, I will follow up with the glass guy, I may have to head back up there to work on it myself.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Wow holy schitt. Not planning on selling anytime soon? Lol
I wouldn’t even attempt the windshield without someone else helping. It’s useless otherwise. Look at some of the install videos. It takes one guy to awkwardly slap the windshield and force it one direction while the other fits it. And you’ll want an assortment of little picks, plastic windshield pry bars and a lock strip tool is required too.

Tom Bright

Reaction score
First Name
TOM
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Had mine done at local body shop. Took it in at 10am done at noon. One man shop. Great guy.
Used old gasket, said if it wasn't leaking before, wouldn't need new gasket. Does not leak a drop.
I think he did an excellent job.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
no idea what brand it is, but going through now. It's been leaking on the passenger side kick panel. Rusted out where the floor meets it. Get it right is all I've got to say. New seal install coming soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad