K5 Windshield and seal recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlazerBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Bodywork is near completion on my ‘83 K5 Blazer but I still need to do any bodywork under the windshield and replace the old pitted windshield. I went to Safelite to get an estimate on getting the windshield replaced and they quoted around $350 for the new glass and installation however they said that they do not remove/replace the base seal (mounted on the body) and only install a new gasket that goes on after the w/s is in place because they said that the original base seal is already formed and is better quality than a Chinese seal that comes wrinkled and wadded up. Now, I’m worried about removing the base seal to do the bodywork underneath unless I can find a good quality seal and gasket. Any recommendations for where I can get a quality windshield and a complete seal kit?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I’d buy them separate.
For the seal, Precision seems to be the best/most recommended.
Support a local guy here in WA if you’d like. Look up Mister As Chevy parts on FB. Good guy, quick, and same prices basically as any other online retailer.
You’ll need a seal and a lock strip too.
$350 don’t sound too bad. Windshield is worth $150 giver take.
They aren’t horrible to DIY install but need 2 people for sure. And spend the $ on the lock strip tool (impossible without it) and some more $ on plastic pry bars, picks etc if you don’t have that. I spent $50 easy in tools to install.

It took me and the boy a whole afternoon. 4-5 hours including a sanity break midway thru it.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
I replaced a windshield and gasket with my old man last summer. I second grit dogs recommendation for a Precision brand gasket with the lock strip. It worked for me and it doesnt leak (no liquid sealant required). The assembly tools he mentioned are also 100% necessary.

I got my Precision gasket, lock strip, and lock strip tool from Jegs. Plastic pry bar tools came from harbor freight. My windshield was from a plow truck being parted out.

BlazerBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K5 Blazer
Engine Size
I called Precision (technician) that also recommended the WCR848 gasket, WLS466 lock strip, 3M gasket to body non-hardening sealant PN 08509 and hardening sealant PN 08609 for the lock strip. The sealants were highly recommended. The Precision sales agent recommended purchasing their parts through Summit at about half the price as buying directly from Precision. Ordered the Precision parts and windshield from Summit but the windshield has to be shipped from supplier so I had to pay $159 extra for shipping it. Precision also sells a gasket that does not require the lock strip but said it was much more difficult to install. Thanks for the recommendations!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^There is a gasket with a built in lock strip. Idk if that was ever used in OE form, but every square I’ve ever seen had a separate lock strip.
RE sealants
My truck had sealant between the windshield frame and the gasket. Likely OE although I find it hard to believe the windshield had never been replaced. Which I feel would surely disturb the gasket.
None between the glass and gasket.
I used no sealant with a new gasket after painting the truck.
Idfk how you could use sealant anywhere without making a monumental mess though!
Fwiw no sealant and no leaks. And that windshield fits in so tight I can’t imagine needing any sealant short of a deformed windshield frame.

If first time DIY, personally I’d not use sealant or you and the truck will probably look like you got in a fight with a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff….

BlazerBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Right on Grit dog! I’ll take your advice, thanks again!

BlazerBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Thanks, I’ll take y’all’s advice!

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

No sealer just LMC gasket and junkyard windshield. No leaks after rust fixed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag