Play in steering box at normal operating temp.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camatruder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350ci / 5.7l
When starting after the truck has been sitting for a couple of hours the steering is great. As things warm up there's an increasing amount of play in the steering box when driving straight forward, not in cornering. Everything is stock, power steering filled with full synthetic atf which looks and smells good. All other steering parts have 0 play. I changed the box with a rebuilt one from rockauto but that didn't help.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Possibly the synthetic fluid. Thinning as it warms up?

Camatruder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350ci / 5.7l
Well i finally found the time to flush and fill the PS with GM approved PS fluid but that made no difference.

1979k10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Rag joint?

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
When starting after the truck has been sitting for a couple of hours the steering is great. As things warm up there's an increasing amount of play in the steering box when driving straight forward, not in cornering. Everything is stock, power steering filled with full synthetic atf which looks and smells good. All other steering parts have 0 play. I changed the box with a rebuilt one from rockauto but that didn't help.

I cant say ive ever run across a temperature related steering problem. I would check and see if the fluid is foaming up when its hot and causing problems. possible trapped air in the system? To purge air turn wheel till it hits the stops apply enough pressure to force the bypass valve open (make it whine ) 2-3 seconds turn wheel to opposite side and repeat, do this cold if it is foamy it doesn't work as well , do this a couple times and try it out. keep your fluid level from getting to low while doing this . possible bad pump? possible kinked or collapsed lines?

Camatruder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350ci / 5.7l
I tried and checked everything in the previous post but no change. I own this truck for 5 years now and it really has had this problem ever since. In the past years i changed about every steering component including the steering box and pump that were rebuild ones from rockauto. Which leaves me with a couple of questions: how much play is normal? Is this a design fault, from the center position the idler arm seem to go upward just a little before moving sideways. There is no crack in the frame. There is zero play in other components.
Should the adjusting of the steering box be done with cold or hot ps fluid, with engine running or not?

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Don't rule out steering box. Some rebuilt box's are no better than what you took off. Take the weight off your tires, adjust your lash adjustment in until it hits home, then back off 1/4 turn. Also check your spring bushings.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Don't rule out steering box. Some rebuilt box's are no better than what you took off. Take the weight off your tires, adjust your lash adjustment in until it hits home, then back off 1/4 turn. Also check your spring bushings.

@Shorty81 curious what do you mean by home? Thanks

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
@Shorty81 curious what do you mean by home? Thanks

there is a high spot on the worm gear so when the steering shaft is at the center of travel it will be stiffer. when its to tight as you turn the steering shaft you can feel it.. that's home.

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
there is a high spot on the worm gear so when the steering shaft is at the center of travel it will be stiffer. when its to tight as you turn the steering shaft you can feel it.. that's home.
Thanks C10, turn in lash adjustment (clockwise) until it just starts to tighten. Do not over tighten. Then back off 1/4 turn. If you feel dragging or resistance in steering back off 1/4 more. Hope this helps.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
a couple of points,

I only use ATF in a emergency. it works but always causes problems.
never ever never try to adjust a box unless you absolutely know what you are doing.
never buy a rebuilt box from a parts store. go to a well respected medium/heavy truck repair place and ask them who rebuilds their boxes and take your box there. commercial LEO's don't mess around with loose boxes they will stop a truck immediately and not allow it to proceed if the steering is loose. therefore the rebuilders are held to a much higher standard, if they don't do top notch work they are soon out of business.

highdesertranger

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224