Pinion bearings failed need help with specs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rockinpcranch

Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've got an 84 K 20 with a semi floating rear with 9.5 ring gear. The front pinion bearing failed. My Hanes manual says to take measurements and go back to the same spec. The problem with that is I didn't have a good spec to use. I'm putting all new bearings in the whole diff and I need help with the specifications on how to set up the pinion shaft crush sleeve, and the bearing cap bolt torque. Any help is appreciated.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I don't even know were to start. I am assuming you never set up a ring and pinion. are you replacing the carrier bearings? or just the pinion bearings. either way I would say you need a shop manual. but the shop manual is going to say you need this special tool and that special tool. do you know anybody that knows how to set up a ring and pinion, ask them for help. this is not an impossible job, just really hard to explain on a thread. what rear end do you have. is that a 14 bolt semi floater? when they say set it up like it was, they mean go off the numbers that are scribed on the pinion. do you know what those numbers mean? this is hard for me to explain. let us know what rear end and what you are replacing , it will help. highdesertranger

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
9 1/2 Inch Ring Gear

PINION DEPTH ADJUSTMENT

You must be registered for see images attach

If original ring gear and pinion assembly and rear pinion bearing are to be reused, original depth adjusting shim can be used. However, if ring gear and pinion or rear pinion bearing requires replacement, pinion depth must be adjusted using following procedures.

1.Install pinion bearing races to be used in housing using suitable driver.
2.Lubricate pinion bearings and install bearings in races.
3.Mount depth gauging jig in housing noting the following. Use gauge assembly tool No. J-21777-01, Fig. 9, or suitable equivalent. Follow all tool manufacturer's recommendations when installing gauge assembly.
a.Assemble gauge plate on preload stud.
b.Hold pinion bearings in position, insert stud through rear bearing and pilot, then front bearing and pilot, install retaining nut and tighten nut hand tight.
c.Rotate tool to ensure that bearings are properly seated.
d.Hold preload stud and tighten nut until 20 inch lbs. torque is required to rotate stud. Tighten nut in small increments, checking rotating torque after each adjustment using suitable torque wrench.
e.Mount side bearing discs on arbor, using step that corresponds to base of housing.
f.Mount arbor and plunger assembly in housing ensuring that side bearing discs are properly seated, install bearing caps and tighten cap bolts to prevent bearing discs from moving.
4.Mount suitable dial indicator on arbor stud with indicator contact button bearing against top of arbor plunger.
5.Preload indicator 1/2 revolution, then secure to arbor stud in this position.
6.Place arbor plunger on gauge plate, rotate plate as needed so that plunger rests directly on button corresponding to ring gear size.
7.Slowly rock plunger rod back and forth across button while observing dial indicator.
8.At point on button where indicator registers greatest deflection, zero dial indicator. Perform steps 7 and 8 several times to ensure correct setting.
9.Once verified zero setting is obtained, swing plunger aside until it is clear of gauge plate button and record dial indicator reading. Indicator will now read required pinion depth shim thickness for ``nominal'' pinion.
10.Inspect rear face of drive pinion to be installed for a pinion code number. This number indicates in thousandths of an inch necessary modification of pinion shim thickness obtained in step 9.
11.Select pinion depth adjusting shim as follows:
a.If pinion is stamped with a plus (+) number, add that number of thousandths to dimension obtained in step 9.
b.If pinion is stamped with a minus (-) number, subtract that many thousandths from dimension obtained in step 9.
c.If pinion is not stamped with plus or minus number, dimension obtained in step 9 is correct shim thickness.
12.Remove gauging tool and pinion bearings from housing.
DRIVE PINION INSTALLATION

1.Install pinion bearing races in housing, if not previously installed, using suitable drivers to ensure that races are squarely seated.
2.Install selected shim on pinion shaft, lubricate rear pinion bearing with specified axle lubricant, then press rear bearing onto pinion using suitable spacers.
3.Install new collapsible spacer on pinion and insert pinion assembly into housing.
4.Lubricate front pinion bearing, install bearing in housing and tap bearing onto pinion shaft while assistant holds pinion in place. Old pinion nut and large washer can be used to draw front bearing onto pinion, but care must be taken not to collapse spacer if this method is used.
5.Install new pinion seal in housing, coat seal lips with grease, then mount driveshaft flange on pinion shaft, lightly tapping flange until several pinion shaft threads protrude.
6.Coat rear of pinion washer with suitable sealer, then install washer and new pinion nut and adjust preload to specifications.
PINION BEARING PRELOAD ADJUSTMENT

1.Ensure that pinion and bearings are properly installed, as outlined.
2.Hold driveshaft companion flange with suitable tool, then alternately tighten pinion nut and rotate pinion until endplay is reduced to zero.
3.When endplay is reduced to zero, check pinion bearing preload by rotating pinion with suitable torque wrench.
4.Continue tightening pinion nut in small increments until specified bearing preload is obtained, rotating pinion and checking preload after each adjustment. Exceeding preload specification will compress collapsible spacer too far, requiring replacement of spacer. If preload specification is exceeded, spacer must be replaced and adjustment procedure must be repeated. Do not loosen pinion nut to reduce preload.

Rockinpcranch

Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm sorry I Didn't give enough info on my problem. I have set up ring and pinions before in heavy equipment and farm tractors. Most of the ones I have set up used shims to set preload not a crush sleeve. the sleeve is what is throwing me for a loop, Mainly it's not having a starting spec to try for by adding or removing shims from what I removed from the old set up. What I have is a 14 bolt semi floater with a 9.5 ring gear. I have a Hanes manual which is really useless as it didn't give any specifications for the pinion bearing preload.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD