Penetrol vs. boiled linseed oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EastAustinSawdust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Big Ten Bonanza
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Been researching ways to preserve/protect patina. Penetrol and boiled linseed oil seem to be the most used methods, but I’d love for somebody to lay out the pros/cons of each and help me decide which method is best for my situation.

Got a ‘78 big ten. Buckskin and frost white factory 2-tone paint is in decent shape for its age...still some shine to it in many places...but it’s also got plenty of patina. Some areas are bare rust that is pitting and I’d love to stop it or slow it down.

I’m a driveway mechanic, no garage or covered carport to work in (though could borrow a friends garage for a weekend if need be). Truck is always parked outside, and I live in Austin where sun and heat beat down from April through October.

Curious to hear your thoughts!

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
A friend of mine used Owatrol Oil on his 63 GMC panel truck to preserve the patina.
I use it on the bed of my c20.
It can be applied with brush, roller or sprayer.
It holds up very well but my I don't drive my c20 in winter and it's parked in a garage.

https://www.owatrolusa.com/product/owatrol-oil/

Jdgrant96

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
There is a company called Sweet Patina that sells a mixture called patina sauce. I’ve seen very good reviews for it. A different route if you’re interested

EastAustinSawdust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Big Ten Bonanza
Engine Size
5.7L 350
A friend of mine used Owatrol Oil on his 63 GMC panel truck to preserve the patina.
I use it on the bed of my c20.
It can be applied with brush, roller or sprayer.
It holds up very well but my I don't drive my c20 in winter and it's parked in a garage.

https://www.owatrolusa.com/product/owatrol-oil/
Is it forgiving enough to be applied out in the open or would you only do it in a garage? And how does it look when applied over non-rusted surfaces?

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Is it forgiving enough to be applied out in the open or would you only do it in a garage? And how does it look when applied over non-rusted surfaces?

You can apply it in the open it takes ~ 24 hours to cure at 68°. It would collect a dust and bugs, I would recommend to paint the truck indoors.
It has a kind of semi gloss appearance on paint and rust. It should be wiped off it from the paint when it's wet cause it doesn't hold up very well on paint and bare, rustfree metal.
The rusted areas look a little darker with the oil applied.
Best would be to test it on a small area of the truck.

Owatrol Oil looks exactly like the sweet patina stuff:

https://sweetpatina.bigcartel.com/product/patina-sauce

sirweesarunch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Been painting residential for 38 years. All the products mentioned most likely have linseed oil as their main component . It looks good on totally rusted objects and lasts 6 months or so depending on weather conditions but it looks like **** over painted areas. Another method is to buy catalyzed polyurethane clear , mix up a pint , cut it heavily with acetone and rag or sponge it over the rusted areas , dries very quick and holds out rust a long time. You can add flatting agent to adjust sheen level. I do this same thing on my cast iron table saw top. Lasts a long time outside.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Been painting residential for 38 years. All the products mentioned most likely have linseed oil as their main component . It looks good on totally rusted objects and lasts 6 months or so depending on weather conditions but it looks like **** over painted areas. Another method is to buy catalyzed polyurethane clear , mix up a pint , cut it heavily with acetone and rag or sponge it over the rusted areas , dries very quick and holds out rust a long time. You can add flatting agent to adjust sheen level. I do this same thing on my cast iron table saw top. Lasts a long time outside.

I have to try this on my next garden project for my wife.

thom gray

Reaction score
First Name
Thom
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Penetrol super easy dries quickly last a couple of years. wipe the truck with naphta apply with a foam brush or a rag. its a self leveling product. hope this helps

EastAustinSawdust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Big Ten Bonanza
Engine Size
5.7L 350

I had a hunch that all these products shared a common base. Think I might try either boiled linseed or penetrol first in the bed and see which one looks better. If neither suffice then maybe I’ll try something more complex. Thanks!

sirweesarunch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I had a hunch that all these products shared a common base. Think I might try either boiled linseed or penetrol first in the bed and see which one looks better. If neither suffice then maybe I’ll try something more complex. Thanks!

Dont bother with penetrol. Buy Raw linseed oil instead. It’ll set up quicker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
90sBurb