PCV Catch Can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
While cleaning the intake on the 2006 Silverado for the ls swap, I noticed a lot of oil inside. I googled it and noticed a bunch of PCV catch cans that people install. Tons of video's/articles on it.

I did try to search here, but it didn't seem to give me good results.

Pro's/Con's/Do you use one? Weird I'd never heard of such a thing.

Thanks Guys

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Are they typically being installed on stock trucks or people swapping engines to other vehicles? It really doesn't matter, I'm just curious. I haven't seen any late model trucks with catch cans installed.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
it showed as results to take care of oil build up in the intake.....as well as just replacing the pcv valve......Any vehicle.

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
I've seen them used, typically on boosted engines that can create a lot of blow-by. They work fine if you are getting a lot of oil in the pcv system which could also be an issue with a higher mileage engine. Newer engines typically have a better baffle system to keep oil mist from getting into the pcv tube/valve in the first place. Oil of any kind burning in the cylinder is really bad for catalysts from an OEM emission standpoint but the OEM's don't really use catch cans since it would require customer to empty it. I'd look inside the cam cover and try to improve baffling there before a catch can. But if you need one then there's no harm in adding one, just have to make sure it doesn't get full and then suck a big volume of oil into the intake.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
just have to make sure it doesn't get full and then suck a big volume of oil into the intake.

I thought about that also. Be nice to build a good one and have it pump just the oil back into the crankcase. Might have other stuff other than oil in it. Dunno.....thinking out loud.

Instead of vacuum, why not just run a hose over to a collection "canister" and let the pressure do all the work?

Gonna read that article again, probably missing something.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Generally ls motors did have issues with pcv system getting oil in the intake, but later it should have been resolved. But it is a case on case base. On my ls swap I ended up just putting a filter on the valve cover and calling it at that. It only gets driven 500-700 milea a year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76