73 K10 w/350 has some weekend issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bdouble

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok, ok...where to start...

So I finally got under the hood of my new 73 K10 after a week of listening to some weird whistling/squealing that only happens when coasting or at low rpm. I also noticed a vacuum noise from somewhere in the back right of the engine bay. I'm new to this, so the more detailed the explanation/instructions you guys have, the better off I'll be - I appreciate the help.

So I started pulling some of the vacuum lines to see what's up with the whistling and found some of them have stoppers inside. Why would this be the case?
I haven't checked all of them yet...still tracing the lines but, the T that joins the lower part of the carb, the right valve cover, and the charcoal box is blocked off at the end of the line just before the charcoal box.
Meanwhile another separate smaller vacuum line from the charcoal box to the upper portion of the carb is clear. I don't get it.

Also, I don't know what model Q-jet this is (see pic). When I search the engraved number (17054927), it doesn't return any results on any of the databases.
I have a edelbrock 2101 intake ready to install but I'm since I don't know anything about this carb, I don't want to screw things up (aside from the whistle and vacuum noise, the truck runs very well).

One more thing, it takes forever to fill the gas tank on this truck. I guess the gas station pump vapor guard thing prevents the nozzle from getting deep enough in the filler line so the fuel wants to come flowing back out and all over my feet if I try to fill with anything over a trickle. It seriously took 20 minutes to pump 12 gallons the other day. I'm in California so based on my googling, it sounds like it's primarily a CA issue. Either way, I need some work around aside from filling up a red gas can and then filling the truck....that's already got monotonous. I'll cut a hole in my bed if necessary, I just need to know what parts I'd need to do it right. I'm not ok about wasting 20 minutes at the gas station every few days haha.

Anyway, Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.

Here are some pics:

You must be registered for see images attach

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I have the same carb. Its a good carb.

What intake is on there right now? It says Edelbrock

bdouble

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What intake is on there right now? It says Edelbrock

It's one of those SP2P intakes.

I have to install a new thermostat so there's a good reason to drop in the new intake.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The Vapor Guard issue and slow fueling is probably do to the canister purge line being plugged off. That purpose of the Canister is to absorb the vapors, and it being plugged off, the tank is filling with vapors shutting the gas dispenser off. Take a look for your vacuum and hose routing sticker under the hood and hook that stuff up right according to the label and that issue should be corrected. You do have the correct carb for your truck. I'd work with it and keep it. If you have to pay someone to tune it right, then do so and you should be good to go for quite some time.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I believe the slow fueling has to do with the fill neck vent. make sure it's clear and not pinched. I have gone though the same problem. highdesertranger

Scorpion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I believe the slow fueling has to do with the fill neck vent. make sure it's clear and not pinched. I have gone though the same problem. highdesertranger

Yep. Vent is too small and the design has it in the wrong location on the filler neck. A comparison between newer models and the older ones shows how it was improved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajiuo666