Patina truck project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonny B

Reaction score
First Name
jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc c1500
Engine Size
i respect both sides of the coin,i like a car thats show quality to look at but a daily driver and a truck used to haul my harley,steel,timber etc,etc is better left as is .Real patina is .......real,and on old pick up trucks adds character.Not worrying about some ******* pranging my show car or stonechips etc means i enjoy driving her more.I had a corvette hit by a truck in a car park,my firebird was damaged in a garage badly,both mint,really messed with my head.I dint want to drive them once repaired,too much anxiety,with my truck and my dodge and 88 harley i dont give a ****,and they all look fkin cool.So yes i love painted muscle cars but worrying about it aint my joy,drivin hard is.Being in a profession building rods then i understand 100 % with ur take,but us patina drivers enjoy our rides and others opinions matter not n never will.

Raybo135

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Raymond
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
It’s a great truck, he’s a lucky guy to have it. I really like that era of Chevy trucks. I have a hell of a time remembering people’s names, but I remember exactly what they drive, haha
It's like me, if you have a dog I'll remember your dog's name long before I remember your name!

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Sorry guys I am not a fan of patina and fake patina is worse , I have been a street rodder most of my time and worked in street rod shops . I like a car or truck with a nice paint job . I do not under stand someone doing every thing nice on the truck and leaving the outside a mess . Between the patina and rat rods our car shows are looking like junk yards . Sorry but that just my opinion .
I did everything but the body on mine with intent, but I’m not taking it to shows either.

I wanted to not be afraid of working my truck, but I wanted to do everything underneath to preserve it.

Sometime this year I’ll likely scuff it and rattlecan it in CARC low sheen sand. That way touch ups are no problem in the future and I won’t feel obligated to paint inside the truck right away.

I like a real patina truck or even if not much patina, original paint. It tells an honest story. I only like shiney paint jobs if they’re immaculate. Only lead filler and a light skim coat. Too scarey for me at the moment. Maybe if I get a nice muscle car in the future.

Raybo135

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Raymond
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
.oops

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jonny B

Reaction score
First Name
jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc c1500
Engine Size
Another point worth noting is unless you can afford a premier paint job and not a piss poor paint job that is looking crap after 12 months then you have no choice other than to try preserve her as is.If you do paint it then you must replace all other cosmetic parts too,fenders,trim etc,etc-more cash.So if youre skint then ur options are limited anyway.Trying to help advise on preserving truck patina was what the post was about,our budget and our preferences in enjoying our old original trucks is easy to understand just as easy as understanding why someone wants to fully restore and paint to show quality a classic truck or car.Not enough posts on here offering advice on what he asked.Replace any rot with fresh steel and preserve it,drive it,enjoy it.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My idea of patina. Fake doesn't even come close, even after hours of painstaking work by an artist. A top coat of SHINY clear on real or fake is the worst.
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
I found using sos pads and then compound with a cheap polisher from harbor freight brought my truck back and let some of its natural patina show through. It was honestly the most relaxing and satisfying cleaning I’ve done to any of my vehicles. I can wait to see your truck finished. Love the green and white color. Here’s a picture of my truck polished up with its I’m guessing Macco paint job from the late 90’s.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Since everyone's discussing trying t bring back dead paint.Give your old whatever a good bath, get it wet, scrub it with bon Ami, comet, ajax and a sponge. You will be amazed when you rinse it off.Learned that from a used car dealer 30 some years ago.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
This is"Tina" ( the wife named her that , bet you can figure out why lol) .hear is my process. To knock some of the rust scale down , I use a red scotch brite pad and lightly scrub knocking down the high spots , then I either hose it down with water or blow the dust off . then I use old t-shirts cut up cause don't leave any lint behind and wipe the whole truck down with mixture of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits in a 32 oz mason jar. 6 oz. mineral spirits and the rest boiled linseed oil. Apply every 4 months or so . make sure to shake the jar well before use . I have used this method for as long as I have had the truck and does well to protect it as I don't have clear coat on it .
Make sure that anyone who follows this does not leave the rags used balled up in the garage or just throw them away, they will spontaneously combust and burn your house down. Menu would soak them in water and put in a metal can to dispose of it better yet just burn them on your burn pile. But judging from Redbeard's house I don't think he has a burn pile out back like many of us do;):Big Laugh:.

As a volunteer firefighter I went to a fire a few years ago that was started just this way. Painters or someone bleft rags of some chemical balled up. Luckily they caught it and all it basically did was smoke the house up really good. No damage except maybe burn marks in the kitchen counter were done.

RedBeard_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
Sbc 350
Make sure that anyone who follows this does not leave the rags used balled up in the garage or just throw them away, they will spontaneously combust and burn your house down. Menu would soak them in water and put in a metal can to dispose of it better yet just burn them on your burn pile. But judging from Redbeard's house I don't think he has a burn pile out back like many of us do;):Big Laugh:.

As a volunteer firefighter I went to a fire a few years ago that was started just this way. Painters or someone bleft rags of some chemical balled up. Luckily they caught it and all it basically did was smoke the house up really good. No damage except maybe burn marks in the kitchen counter were done.
Yes i forgot that part . @80BrownK10 is correct I forgot to mention disposing of the rags properly . that mixture is quite volatile so be careful and no, there is no burn pile here HOA would have a **** fit lmao . I do have a nice fire pit in the backyard that I made though .

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
The only way id have a rusty shitbox (the bad kinda patina) is if its got a blown big block in it to rattle the loose rust off.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yes i forgot that part . @80BrownK10 is correct I forgot to mention disposing of the rags properly . that mixture is quite volatile so be careful and no, there is no burn pile here HOA would have a **** fit lmao . I do have a nice fire pit in the backyard that I made though .
A fire pit will burn a linseed oil rag just fine:Big Laugh:

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Same here. My wife knows not to bother mentioning names of her friends and our neighbors when she talks about them. It's always "the people that drive the ****" or "the house with the **** in the driveway".
I'm the same way. My wife says something about someone or I see someone driving by and I said oh they live down the road and turn on such street. Or I'm like oh that's the guy that drives X. She's like how do you know where all these people live or what they drive? I was like I see them in the car, recognize them and when driving around I see the car in X driveway?? Haha I see I'm not the only one like this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mickey1977