Patina truck project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sergio729

Reaction score
First Name
Sergio
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Like the title suggests I'm trying to get one of those sweet patina paint jobs on my old truck. So far I'm just scrubbing the absolute hell out of it with some CLR and a Scotch-Brite pad. After I get the bulk of the surface rust off ill be throwing on a wool polishing pad and some Meguiar's Ultra-cut compound to bring some life back to the green and white paint. Then I'll wipe it down with a mixture of Boiled linseed oil and mineral spirit or wax it. I'm still not sure which would be better repelling water, preventing further surface rust and giving it that rich matte "patina sheen"?

You must be registered for see images attach

RedBeard_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
Sbc 350
Good luck . to make it natural takes some time . mine had help from mother nature and I just fine tuned it . its real rust though and you can feel the texture. I use mixture of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits to preserve it and does well

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Redbeard_83 that's beautiful. Please tell us more, did you sand it, clean it , then coat it?What's your mix ratio?

RedBeard_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
Sbc 350
Redbeard_83 that's beautiful. Please tell us more, did you sand it, clean it , then coat it?What's your mix ratio?
This is"Tina" ( the wife named her that , bet you can figure out why lol) .hear is my process. To knock some of the rust scale down , I use a red scotch brite pad and lightly scrub knocking down the high spots , then I either hose it down with water or blow the dust off . then I use old t-shirts cut up cause don't leave any lint behind and wipe the whole truck down with mixture of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits in a 32 oz mason jar. 6 oz. mineral spirits and the rest boiled linseed oil. Apply every 4 months or so . make sure to shake the jar well before use . I have used this method for as long as I have had the truck and does well to protect it as I don't have clear coat on it .

Last edited:

RedBeard_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
Sbc 350
Like the title suggests I'm trying to get one of those sweet patina paint jobs on my old truck. So far I'm just scrubbing the absolute hell out of it with some CLR and a Scotch-Brite pad. After I get the bulk of the surface rust off ill be throwing on a wool polishing pad and some Meguiar's Ultra-cut compound to bring some life back to the green and white paint. Then I'll wipe it down with a mixture of Boiled linseed oil and mineral spirit or wax it. I'm still not sure which would be better repelling water, preventing further surface rust and giving it that rich matte "patina sheen"?

looking good so far just remember to not go crazy . you want a good mix of paint and rust

Sergio729

Reaction score
First Name
Sergio
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
“Shiftpro” I just don’t have the money to fix everything that needs to be done and get a quality paint job. So I’m trying to remove the surface rust/stop the spread and preserve the aged paint that is still hanging around.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
A very strange concept I'm tryng to get my head around...

I've got a 66 chevelle 396 car that looks like it belongs in a high school parking lot in 1980 something, straight,not much rust, air shocks, under dash gauges and looking for an old 2 knob super tuner and some jensen speaker covers to complete the look. I want it to look like it did in 1979 for as long as it can without it degrading. I am afraid to let rain get on it, I keep it garaged 24/7/365 I've thought about clear coating it then scuffing it to take off the shine.

Last edited:

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Someone a couple of years back posted pics of a fabulous 64ish patina truck they had done. I can't remember who it was. It was an older member but I can't find it. Maybe @bucket or @Old77 can remember :shrug:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Someone a couple of years back posted pics of a fabulous 64ish patina truck they had done. I can't remember who it was. It was an older member but I can't find it. Maybe @bucket or @Old77 can remember :shrug:
@smoothandlow84 maybe

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
That's IT!!!! Thank you I've been looking for that. He really did a nice job with that truck. Much appreciated!

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
And actually that's only from a year ago....they say the memory is the first to go:shrug:
It’s a great truck, he’s a lucky guy to have it. I really like that era of Chevy trucks. I have a hell of a time remembering people’s names, but I remember exactly what they drive, haha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20