Passing CA Smog help - High HCs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Is the truck a heavy half? If no factory cat, I’m not sure the cat would need to be CARB certified or not.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Is the truck a heavy half? If no factory cat, I’m not sure the cat would need to be CARB certified or not.
C10's with either Big 10, heavy half, (F44) didn't have cats in 75-77. If it's not required to have a cat at all I don't see how a smog tech could ding you for using a federal standard type cat instead of one with a CARB EO.

I think federal standard type cats can be had for $130-200 for quality branded stuff. Not a bad investment to get the HC's in check and would clean up the exhaust smell a bit too.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Definitely take it in hot by driving around for 40 minutes to an hour, and do everything that everyone has said to, and it should pass no problem.

I'll be going through all of this soon. For some reason I have to test again this year, maybe because it had issues passing last year, I don't know. Either way, I'll be doing an oil change, a tune-up, retarding the timing to what it says on the sticker, also making sure the carb is adjusted properly, and getting it good and hot before taking it in.

77Matt

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
5.7L 350 V8
Oh interesting - Ill ask the SMOG guy when I take it in with the new carb. The GVWR is 6050 - I read that >6000 for that year did not have a cat. Its dual exhaust but I dont think that is indicative of Heavy Half's. I wouldn't know by looking at the suspension. I am new to this game.

77Matt

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
5.7L 350 V8
C10's with either Big 10, heavy half, (F44) didn't have cats in 75-77. If it's not required to have a cat at all I don't see how a smog tech could ding you for using a federal standard type cat instead of one with a CARB EO.

I think federal standard type cats can be had for $130-200 for quality branded stuff. Not a bad investment to get the HC's in check and would clean up the exhaust smell a bit too.
The failed smog report just stated "not applicable" in the catalytic converter visual inspection

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Oh interesting - Ill ask the SMOG guy when I take it in with the new carb. The GVWR is 6050 - I read that >6000 for that year did not have a cat. Its dual exhaust but I dont think that is indicative of Heavy Half's. I wouldn't know by looking at the suspension. I am new to this game.
Do you still have the build sheet with RPO codes in the glovebox?

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Back when we checked emissions this state published a little pocket book with all the OEM required devices by brand, model, year, engine and GVW. California should have something similar available.

Wish I would have saved it.

77Matt

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
5.7L 350 V8
Quite possibly, Ill check it out when I get home tonight. My dad picked it up about 10 years ago from the original owner.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Did it fail for high HCs or NO with the clogged EGR?
A non-functional EGR would likely fail on NOx. Stuck open [even slightly] would increase HC substantially. EGR provides inert gas to intake charge to cool the combustion process.

The way to look at emissions is this, CO is unburned fuel, HC is partially burnt fuel, NOx is produced by excessive heat.

77Matt

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
5.7L 350 V8
A non-functional EGR would likely fail on NOx. Stuck open [even slightly] would increase HC substantially. EGR provides inert gas to intake charge to cool the combustion process.

The way to look at emissions is this, CO is unburned fuel, HC is partially burnt fuel, NOx is produced by excessive heat.
Interesting. Looks like Ill check the EGR valve as well. Hopefully I can get it back in to Smog within a week. Thanks

dd1990

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500
Engine Size
Clean or replace your EGR...also check your vacuum lines and replace if needed.

77Matt

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
5.7L 350 V8
Using the VIN, it has the RPO code F44. According to the code sheet I see, it means:CHASSIS EQUIPMENT,HEAVY DUTY. Does this mean it would be 'Heavy Half'? Sorry, as I mentioned I am pretty new to this game.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
How does driving around for an hour get it any hotter than driving it to the testing facility? How about power braking it just shy of a burnout before pulling into the machine? I know the price of gas in CA is probably $5/gallon? At the typical 10 mpg, I think it's flawed logic. What say RP?

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
How does driving around for an hour get it any hotter than driving it to the testing facility? How about power braking it just shy of a burnout before pulling into the machine? I know the price of gas in CA is probably $5/gallon? At the typical 10 mpg, I think it's flawed logic. What say RP?
No way! Costco is down to a palatable $4.459/gallon for 87. Not going to lie, I had to look that up. It’s been a while since I’ve been to a gas station.

77Matt

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
5.7L 350 V8
No way! Costco is down to a palatable $4.459/gallon for 87. Not going to lie, I had to look that up. It’s been a while since I’ve been to a gas station.
I'm not worried about gas prices. It's for in town fun runs and little league games - with the occasional dump run.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigboytko