Part Trucks w some GOOD PARTS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
NO, I really do get what you're saying, but many of these parts on these trucks are parts I'd want, and likleyhood of finding them cheap are slim to none. These are parts I WANT for my projects. You know I've been looking for a NP205, you want a rear locker, and you know I've been on the fence about front differential being locker or limited slip because I damn sure would never spend the big bucks on an air or elecrtric locker, but this Burb has an air locker up front. I'd have preffered a locker up front too, but then considering the steering, I'd want it to slip some. With the air locker, I can have what I want. Its off, unless I"m on gravel or dirt road. If needed on snow packed roads I'll have the option. So, the NP205/Th350, crossmember and front driveshaft I will use. The locker differentials I will use, the bucket seats I will use. Past that, I'll sell and scrap the rest. Trust me, I don't want these ugly things around long at all. I'll also sell the differentials currently in my K10 that I will no longer need. Either that plan, or I save these differentials and NP205 for a K5 I hope to acquire someday. Now realzing my 4.10 14b full floater is a 3.73 ratio, it may end up in the K1500 and convert the front diff to 8 lug and rock with it. That one will be the K20 instead. Just a cheaper way of doing things with all the parts I have acquired. The 4.56 CUCV Detroit Locker 14b Full floater I'll use in one of the 2wd for the street/strip truck. I get it, really I do. It'll all work out.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Also got one of these out of the Burb. I have one for 86, but the cool thing about 87, is it will have TBI harness in it too. :waytogo:

attachment.php

Attachments

• ST35087.jpg
    ST35087.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 218

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
NO, I really do get what you're saying, but many of these parts on these trucks are parts I'd want, and likleyhood of finding them cheap are slim to none. These are parts I WANT for my projects. You know I've been looking for a NP205, you want a rear locker, and you know I've been on the fence about front differential being locker or limited slip because I damn sure would never spend the big bucks on an air or elecrtric locker, but this Burb has an air locker up front. I'd have preffered a locker up front too, but then considering the steering, I'd want it to slip some. With the air locker, I can have what I want. Its off, unless I"m on gravel or dirt road. If needed on snow packed roads I'll have the option. So, the NP205/Th350, crossmember and front driveshaft I will use. The locker differentials I will use, the bucket seats I will use. Past that, I'll sell and scrap the rest. Trust me, I don't want these ugly things around long at all. I'll also sell the differentials currently in my K10 that I will no longer need. Either that, I save those parts for a K5 I hope to acquire someday. Now realzing my 4.10 14b full floater is a 3.73 ratio, it may end up in the K1500 and convert the front diff to 8 lug and rock with it. That one will be the K20 instead. Just a cheaper way of doing things with all the parts I have acquired. The 4.56 CUCV Detroit Locker 14b Full floater I'll use in one of the 2wd for the street/strip truck. I get it, really I do. It'll all work out.

Highlighted in red is my point EXACTLY you have so many ideas and wants your not letting yourself concentrate on just 1 project at a time. The fact that you someday want a K5 is fine, BUT why hang on to parts for a truck you dont even have, SELL THEM AND USE THAT MONEY FOR A TRUCK YOU DO ALREADY HAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same goes with the air locker, you already stated that its to bad its a 10 bolt, so OBVIOUSLY its NOT what you want. Your SETTLING for it. Sell them and use that money to go to another one that you DO WANT!!!!!!!

Make me a list of what trucks you currently have, highlight the ones that your wanting to keep. You have so damn many its hard for me to keep it straight just what your wants are.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I can't really comment on the subject, as I have a few of the same habits. I too have collected parts for something I plan on owning in the future. It's a hard habit to break.

I will say one thing though. The body on the Burb looks pretty good to me. Why not just have him sign the titles over to you, use what parts you both want to keep, toss them back together with whatever extra parts you already have, then sell them? That could help in more ways than one. It keeps these trucks on the road, you get the parts you want, it gets some of your old parts out of your way, and you stand the chance to make some money too.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I thought the same thing Andy. I was thinking hell yeah, 4x4 Burb, I'm putting it back together. But NO, where this thing is rusted it's not doable. This is worse than 89S Burb. It's even rusted in the door jambs and the hinges are weakened so when you open the doors they sag like hell and nothing you can really do with it. It does look good from a distance but get up close and start opening doors, forget it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Highlighted in red is my point EXACTLY you have so many ideas and wants your not letting yourself concentrate on just 1 project at a time. The fact that you someday want a K5 is fine, BUT why hang on to parts for a truck you dont even have, SELL THEM AND USE THAT MONEY FOR A TRUCK YOU DO ALREADY HAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same goes with the air locker, you already stated that its to bad its a 10 bolt, so OBVIOUSLY its NOT what you want. Your SETTLING for it. Sell them and use that money to go to another one that you DO WANT!!!!!!!

Make me a list of what trucks you currently have, highlight the ones that your wanting to keep. You have so damn many its hard for me to keep it straight just what your wants are.

Why would I sell something that I might get $200 for it, then when I go to get what I prefer, like a Dana 60, I'll spend over a $1000 and that's without any locker of any kind? NO, I will settle for what's more reasonable, and I"ll sell the current' peg legger 3.08 10 bolt that's in the truck for $100 and install the 10 bolt Air Locker with the 4.10 gear ratio that I prefer. If these 10 bolts held up to what this guy did with the Burb, they can't be all that bad. Maybe it's the carriers he is using I don't know, but I know I have no intention of rock crawling, so the 10 bolts are likely to hold up to what I'l use the truck for. Don't go making me post up all my trucks and winning this arguement, cuz it would take to long to post it all with explanation. :Moon: Hopefully this summer my son will be some help and I can at least get them consolidated and sell some unneeded parts to finance putting them together.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Why would I sell something that I might get $200 for it, then when I go to get what I prefer, like a Dana 60, I'll spend over a $1000 and that's without any locker of any kind? NO, I will settle for what's more reasonable, and I"ll sell the current' peg legger 3.08 10 bolt that's in the truck for $100 and install the 10 bolt Air Locker with the 4.10 gear ratio that I prefer. If these 10 bolts held up to what this guy did with the Burb, they can't be all that bad. Maybe it's the carriers he is using I don't know, but I know I have no intention of rock crawling, so the 10 bolts are likely to hold up to what I'l use the truck for. Don't go making me post up all my trucks and winning this arguement, cuz it would take to long to post it all with explanation. :Moon: Hopefully this summer my son will be some help and I can at least get them consolidated and sell some unneeded parts to finance putting them together.

i didnt dispute if the 10 bolt was strong enough to handle what you would put under it.

You keep hanging on to parts and when you actually come across a dana 60 your gonna miss out on it because you have to sell this and that before you can get it. if you would sell all the **** you already have aquired for so damn many trucks you would have the funds for what you WANT when the time arives.
But hey its your trucks, your projects, your hopes and dreams. So what ever floats your boat. I am just trying to help you with ideas on how to actually get some progress done.

Theres no gaurantees if the 10 bolt was even set up properly, so you may put it in and it be fine. Or you may put it in and it whines like hell or comes apart on you, then instead of 200 you got 40 worth of scrap iron.

When i bought my truck i bought it with funds from scrapping, and selling parts. Then everthing I have done to it has been funded by the same type of deals. You and I both have limited funds and unfortiontly have to do things slowly right? only difference is your sitting on a gold mine of funds if you would just go ahead and get the cash out of all of it, you could be miles ahead of me or alot of other peoples projects. When its time to do another project you can ALWAYS find more deals.

Hell I told you I was thinking about getting a K5 for 400 bucks, that just needs a Transmission put in it, only reason I havent bought it is I no the only thing I can do is fix it and sell it, I cant afford to keep it for a later project, I will have to find another one when it comes to that time.

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Hey John, pass some of that popcorn this way please.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Using those locked 10 bolts does make sense to me, and it's doubtful he would ever benefit from having a D60 for what he would be doing. The first thing that usually blows on a 10 bolt is the spiders, so the Detroit should take care of the weakest link. And for something that is used on the street often, a selectable locker is the bee's knees. Good manners on snowy/icy roads, but full traction from all four wheels when you need to get out of a jam.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Using those locked 10 bolts does make sense to me, and it's doubtful he would ever benefit from having a D60 for what he would be doing. The first thing that usually blows on a 10 bolt is the spiders, so the Detroit should take care of the weakest link. And for something that is used on the street often, a selectable locker is the bee's knees. Good manners on snowy/icy roads, but full traction from all four wheels when you need to get out of a jam.

Glad someone sees my point. I honestly can do wo a D60. I see the prices C4 talks about for hubs, etc for the D60. So even though you get the initial high cost out of the way, everything after the fact is big bucks too, not to mention losing ground clearance. I know people are giving away 10 bolts, so I can break a few compared to the cost of a D60. If indeed I find I am doing more rougher wheeling than I think and can justify the D60, then I'd consider it. If I find a steal on one, I damn sure won't pass is up either. I think with a good strong carrier and locker, maybe some chromeolly axles, some good quality Spicer U joints, I think it'll hold up. I know many get into biggo horsepower for a wheeler, and I don't see the need. I'd be happy with a truck that will hold up to 300hp. IMO, wheeling is about traction, not about horsepower/torque. I could care less if I make it up that steep hill in 10 seconds. I'm happy to make it up the steep hill period, if it took 13 or 14 seconds. Granted, I'm no dummy, I know if I intend to run 44 inch tires, I am going to need some horsepower to turn those monsters, but I am thinking in the 35-37in range max. To me its more about getting to places, not how fast I get there, so I do want a TRUE 4x4, but I still want it streetable too, so my intent was going locker in the rear, and really wanted locker in the front too, but that is not steering streetable, so I was thinking of going limited slip even though I prefer locker. C4 suggested, go locker, and just lock in one hub when on the street in bad weather and then have the locker for off-road, so that put me back on the fence with that decision again. The aiir locker gives me the best of both options, I just never considered air locker cuz of high cost, but now that it may happen, I'll damn sure use it, and I know there are also cable conversion kits too, so it don't have to be air actuated either. Nonetheless, I can shut the air locker off and have front differential, or lock the air locker with one hub locked in, or lock both in. It's a no brainer and I damn sure can't purchase these locker axles for anywhere near what I'd get out of them if I sold them. I will use these lockers and sell the differentials that are currently in the truck which are 10 bolts 3.08 peg leggers. For the little I'd get out of a 3.08, I might ever be better off to keep the front one for spare axles, knuckles, spiders etc. I might get $100 for that diff, and I break an axle, what will it cost me? $150 or more??? BTW, the 4.10's is another truck he was talking about, he confirmed today, the Burb is 3.73s. I can live with that, although 4.10 would have been better. Should be fine with 35in tires. That's what 4Lo is for if I need a lower gear when climbing out of a ditch or up a steep hill. I'm looking forward to cutting some trails out on my dads 160 acrres. there are some steep, deep reveens, Might have to hit them at an angle, but I intend to cross them.

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
If you would be happy with 35s those locked 10 bolts would be fine but I wouldn't go no more than 36s if I were you. Maybe a set of nice H1s on 36x12.5 swampers. You can get hardened shafts as you need them, if you get in a rut and have to try to cut the wheel into the side of it to claw out and hear that "pop", just carry a spare with ya. But I see where pops is coming from too, you've got quite a stockpile from what we hear, and personally I guess I'm just afraid you'll focus more on the gettin rather than the doin part of it. Before you know it you're too old to do what you've been gathering parts all your life for, or the housing authority gets their way and you have to haul it all off and/or sell it all off. If you actually have done or do any wheelin post some pics/vids of it now and then or tell us about it lol it just sounds like you're doing more gathering than making forward progress on any one project.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You're right. I have aure gathered more than progress. Haven't had the funds. Part of it, is a matter of getting my dads too.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Glad someone sees my point. I honestly can do wo a D60. I see the prices C4 talks about for hubs, etc for the D60. So even though you get the initial high cost out of the way, everything after the fact is big bucks too, not to mention losing ground clearance. I know people are giving away 10 bolts, so I can break a few compared to the cost of a D60. If indeed I find I am doing more rougher wheeling than I think and can justify the D60, then I'd consider it. If I find a steal on one, I damn sure won't pass is up either. I think with a good strong carrier and locker, maybe some chromeolly axles, some good quality Spicer U joints, I think it'll hold up. I know many get into biggo horsepower for a wheeler, and I don't see the need. I'd be happy with a truck that will hold up to 300hp. IMO, wheeling is about traction, not about horsepower/torque. I could care less if I make it up that steep hill in 10 seconds. I'm happy to make it up the steep hill period, if it took 13 or 14 seconds. Granted, I'm no dummy, I know if I intend to run 44 inch tires, I am going to need some horsepower to turn those monsters, but I am thinking in the 35-37in range max. To me its more about getting to places, not how fast I get there, so I do want a TRUE 4x4, but I still want it streetable too, so my intent was going locker in the rear, and really wanted locker in the front too, but that is not steering streetable, so I was thinking of going limited slip even though I prefer locker. C4 suggested, go locker, and just lock in one hub when on the street in bad weather and then have the locker for off-road, so that put me back on the fence with that decision again. The aiir locker gives me the best of both options, I just never considered air locker cuz of high cost, but now that it may happen, I'll damn sure use it, and I know there are also cable conversion kits too, so it don't have to be air actuated either. Nonetheless, I can shut the air locker off and have front differential, or lock the air locker with one hub locked in, or lock both in. It's a no brainer and I damn sure can't purchase these locker axles for anywhere near what I'd get out of them if I sold them. I will use these lockers and sell the differentials that are currently in the truck which are 10 bolts 3.08 peg leggers. For the little I'd get out of a 3.08, I might ever be better off to keep the front one for spare axles, knuckles, spiders etc. I might get $100 for that diff, and I break an axle, what will it cost me? $150 or more??? BTW, the 4.10's is another truck he was talking about, he confirmed today, the Burb is 3.73s. I can live with that, although 4.10 would have been better. Should be fine with 35in tires. That's what 4Lo is for if I need a lower gear when climbing out of a ditch or up a steep hill. I'm looking forward to cutting some trails out on my dads 160 acrres. there are some steep, deep reveens, Might have to hit them at an angle, but I intend to cross them.
Might I remind you I NEVER SAID YOU NEEDED A DANA 60, FROM WHAT I HAVE HEARD FROM TALKING TO YOU YOU HAVE IMPLIED SEVERAL TIMES THATS WHAT YOU WANTED, HENSE THE REASON I SAY YOUR SETTLING. I personally dont give a **** if I have a 60 or not even though my truck is a 1 ton, the 10 bolt i am putting in it is just fine. To be honest IF I ever get a dana 60 you can bet your ass I will SELL it, there value is way more apealing to me then what I would ever NEED.
If you would be happy with 35s those locked 10 bolts would be fine but I wouldn't go no more than 36s if I were you. Maybe a set of nice H1s on 36x12.5 swampers. You can get hardened shafts as you need them, if you get in a rut and have to try to cut the wheel into the side of it to claw out and hear that "pop", just carry a spare with ya. But I see where pops is coming from too, you've got quite a stockpile from what we hear, and personally I guess I'm just afraid you'll focus more on the gettin rather than the doin part of it. Before you know it you're too old to do what you've been gathering parts all your life for, or the housing authority gets their way and you have to haul it all off and/or sell it all off. If you actually have done or do any wheelin post some pics/vids of it now and then or tell us about it lol it just sounds like you're doing more gathering than making forward progress on any one project.

Glad someone finally sees my point!!!!!!!
Although if the 10 bolt is now a 3.73 ratio then IMHO I think that it is 2 high of a ratio to run the 35" tires with an automatic Transmission. I would seriously think about going back with the original Idea of the SM465

You're right. I have aure gathered more than progress. Haven't had the funds. Part of it, is a matter of getting my dads too.
BS!!!! the funds are there, your just "hoarding" sell some **** man and get this ****** on the ball :Sumo:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I figured I was jumping the gun on posting about these parts trucks. It appears now the guy needs to put the 80 truck together, so that means no NP205. He's also robbing tons of parts off the Burb. Not that I care really, I actually only care to get the axles off of it. They are 3.73's (Not 4.11's like I was first told or thought), with the front Air Locker, and the Rear with Detroit Locker. I'd be fine with that. I guess I'd also get the 87 K case 700r4 and NP241C that's in it. Seems the bossman is getting the TBI 350 off the Burb, not that I care much. I have plenty of motors, just a matter of getting them assembled. I"d even be satisfied just to get the front Air Locker axle. Since it's 3.73 and my K1500 is currently 3.73, then I'd likely just put it in my K1500 and keep my last consolidation plan, instead of the new plans since "THINKING" I was getting all these parts to put my K10 together.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Never fails just when you thought it was going to pay off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigcreek