Part Trucks w some GOOD PARTS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
One of the guys at the tow lot, the main Copart driver, is looking to spend $3500-$4000 on a square. 4x4, lifted, probably the Crew Cab one, he's actually looking at 3 or 4 different ones. He wants to buy one that is built and ready to go other then minor things that he wants to add like his windch bumper and winch off his 87 Burb, his Burb wheels are tires etc. So here is the deal, I am helping him get the swaps done, and he is giving me his 2 trucks for parts. Both trucks run currently, but not well. One needs some differential work, one just needs **** like an instrument cluster and other minor stuff. He first had the 87 Burb. Its a rust bucket bad. So he bought this 80 GMC thinking he'd transfer all his good stuff from the Burb to it. Well, he found out stuff like the front clip, radiator, e fans, won't fit cuz of the body differences. He's just disgusted with the mix matching of parts, wants something done NOW, so he's punting and I win. Tonight, I got these off the Burb for my 84 C20 with the 454 that has needed a radiator for over a year.

4 Core Radiator
attachment.php

Dual Electric Fans. I'll need to get a relay and temp switch. He had them on a hot toggle switch, I want them hooked up right so I can do away with the fan clutch and water pump fan.
attachment.php

Attachments

• JnoTrucks 038b.jpg
    JnoTrucks 038b.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 278
  • JnoTrucks 036b.jpg
    JnoTrucks 036b.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 296

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here are some pics of the trucks.

He is keeping the wheels and tires off the Burb, and that front bumper and winch for the whichever square he buys next.

Attachments

• JnoTrucks 001b.jpg
    JnoTrucks 001b.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 151
  • JnoTrucks 002b.jpg
    JnoTrucks 002b.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 126
  • JnoTrucks 008b.jpg
    JnoTrucks 008b.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 126
  • JnoTrucks 010b.jpg
    JnoTrucks 010b.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 130
  • JnoTrucks 023b.jpg
    JnoTrucks 023b.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 125

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Anyone care to guess, or know what this is?
attachment.php

Here's a hint... It goes to this.
attachment.php

That is the compressor for the front Air Locker with 4.10 gears. And the rear end needs a pinion bearing, but has a locker in it too with 4.10's. He went mudding and wheeling quite often and says that heavy ass Burb went anywhere the other trucks went so long as it was physically possible if size wasn't an issue. I'll for sure be using the locker differentials.
attachment.php

Attachments

• JnoTrucks 020b.jpg
    JnoTrucks 020b.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 280
  • JnoTrucks 006b.jpg
    JnoTrucks 006b.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 304
  • JnoTrucks 004b.jpg
    JnoTrucks 004b.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 291

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
To bad they are only 10 bolts, but I won't let Lockers and 4.10's go to waste. He's had no problems until this pinion bearing, with exception of did break a front axle once when he left the air locker on, and his wife or someone jumped in the truck and drove on pavement.
The Burb also has a real nice gray dash pad I'll be using, and bucket seats. The interior is not in the best of shape. The freakin red headliner though is flawless. I wish I knew someone who could use it. Many many good parts on the Burb, but the body is pretty must a waste with to much rust. The 700r4 and NP208 are in great working shape, so is the TBI 350 Motor from what he says.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It's not the best of the NP205's but it's still an NP205. This is mated to a Turbo 350 in the 80 K10. I'll be using that too. Apparently it has a newer 350 motor in it and it runs very well with a mild RV cam in it. Looks to be a big Holley dual feed carb too. I'll like use the motor in it, along with the Th350 and NP205 in my 85 K10. He wants to keep the long tube headers off this truck too.
So yep, with these parts trucks, it changed my consolidation game plan AGAIN.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• JnoTrucks 012b.jpg
    JnoTrucks 012b.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 287
  • JnoTrucks 014b.jpg
    JnoTrucks 014b.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 271

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
eaton air lockers? or air bags?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
eaton air lockers? or air bags?

Eaton Front Air Locker. Rear is Detroit Locker he said. I'm not familiar with what one looks like in a 10 bolt rear diff, so I'm not positive on the rear diff locker, but the front is certainly an Eaton Air Locker.

buRRp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I won't mind the body from the burb if I wasn't so far away. That is if he was getting rid of it.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I think 89 and one other person needed a front corner marker light.

buRRp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Lol. That was me.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Ok Hotrod, No offense intended but if noone else is gonna say it I guess i will...

Your plans have changed so much with all your different trucks, which from what i understand is usually because of 1 of 3 things.

#1 Funds Certainly understandable there.

#2 Lack of extra hands

#3 TOOOOO many trucks to decide what to do with them all.

Ok now heres an Idea to solve all your square body problems EVEN the FUNDS.

QUIT obtaining all these different trucks and reworking your FUTURE plans. Pick 1 or at the most 2 different trucks that you want to do, and do them ONE AT A TIME. A little to this one and a little to that one isnt acomplishing much.

Since you have aquired all these EXTRA trucks, why dont you do some scrapping of the junk bodies, Sell the Motors, Transmissions, Rear ends, anything that is a more sought after type part PULL them. When everything of any value is either sold or pulled and for sale, load the scrap up and take it over the scales. Get you an envelope and put ALL the money you get from scrap, and selling of the parts in the ENVELOPE, and FREEZE it. When you get all the extra trucks done like this, think about all the other Extra engines and Transmissions you have and sell them also Freeze that money also.

With all the stuff you already have that you are NOT using you can easilly sell it and have enough change to get ONE of them completed (if they ever really are).

Seriously man your sitting on a GOLD mine, you can always find deals like you have in the past when your READY to start on a different Project.

Oh Yea I forgot your Bro still staying with? If he is make his ass get out there and give you some extra hands on the stuff you need help with.

im ready to see some PROGRESS on ONE of your trucks :birgits_tiredcoffee

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Ok Hotrod, No offense intended but if noone else is gonna say it I guess i will...

Your plans have changed so much with all your different trucks, which from what i understand is usually because of 1 of 3 things.

#1 Funds Certainly understandable there.

#2 Lack of extra hands

#3 TOOOOO many trucks to decide what to do with them all.

Ok now heres an Idea to solve all your square body problems EVEN the FUNDS.

QUIT obtaining all these different trucks and reworking your FUTURE plans. Pick 1 or at the most 2 different trucks that you want to do, and do them ONE AT A TIME. A little to this one and a little to that one isnt acomplishing much.

Since you have aquired all these EXTRA trucks, why dont you do some scrapping of the junk bodies, Sell the Motors, Transmissions, Rear ends, anything that is a more sought after type part PULL them. When everything of any value is either sold or pulled and for sale, load the scrap up and take it over the scales. Get you an envelope and put ALL the money you get from scrap, and selling of the parts in the ENVELOPE, and FREEZE it. When you get all the extra trucks done like this, think about all the other Extra engines and Transmissions you have and sell them also Freeze that money also.

With all the stuff you already have that you are NOT using you can easilly sell it and have enough change to get ONE of them completed (if they ever really are).

Seriously man your sitting on a GOLD mine, you can always find deals like you have in the past when your READY to start on a different Project.

Oh Yea I forgot your Bro still staying with? If he is make his ass get out there and give you some extra hands on the stuff you need help with.

im ready to see some PROGRESS on ONE of your trucks :birgits_tiredcoffee

I was thinking the same thing.

I will likely put some work into my Blazer this year and save some money for a better truck project next year. Whether it's another square or a GMT400 is undecided...I have so many cool and rare parts for both that it's a toss up.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I pretty much decided to do as you suggested, BUT now, I have these other 2 trucks with good parts to complete projects I wanted to do, but did not have funds. Having the parts now, deletes the need for near as many funds. It's been my goal all along to have some nice projects with little to no money in them, just time and labor. I still have very little in my projects. Probably next to ZERO if i was to consider what I have paid for them, and what I sold parts for. The best part of these 2 trucks, is my cost is ZERO. They are being given to me to help him remove what he wants, and help him install those items on the new square he buys. After he gets what he wants off of them, then they are both mine. I already have the title to the 80. The title to the Burb is lost and he has to go to TX or file by mail, for lost title and I told him whatever it costs, I'd pay it. Probably $20 or so. It will probably be so parted out, nothing left of value but the frame. The body is pretty rotted. Not sure why, but even up in the door jambs is rusted. I can only think its cuz of all the wheeling and the thing has been litterally submerged in mud and water several times. Even the motor, you can tell it's been severly wet before. Also being down near Houston for most of it's life, could it be salt water coastal air? I know he also wheeled it at the beach, so it's probably been in salt water before.

So yeah, I see what you're saying, selling parts to pay for other projects, and that was latest intnet, untill the recent event, that changed it all AGAIN.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Also, with a signed, notarized affidavit from him since he is the owner, I can use that to scrap the Burb parts that are left. The axles, 4in lift springs (blocks in the back), the motor, trans and tcase are going to be taken out, the TBI harness is going to be taken out, the bucket seats are going to be taken out, dash pad is gonna be saved, steering column will be used. Pretty much leaves just the frame, body, rear seat, rear air and headliner. The headliner is just to perfect. I'll probably pull it and sell it. I also willl used the crossmember and front driveshaft. Those reasons are why I had decided to punt the 85 K10 project, but now I have all the stuff I'll need to do it without mega funds needed. I'm hoping my son who will be 16 and driving when he gets here this summer, will take an interest in one of the trucks, work on it himself, or him and I even better, and make it his own. He can do some wax on - wax off, himself. Moreless referring to making it purdy by sanding it down and at least primer it one color and maybe we'll shoot some cheap rustoleum on it with one of those $50 paint job just to make it so it's not an eyesore.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
your not totally getting it. close but not exactly. I am saying to keep the plans you have and make money off these other trucks you just got, then use that money along with the money from all the other trucks and parts you have would be more then enough to FINISH 1 COMPLETELY nice paint job custom interior and all.

I understand your ideas of your son and you working on 1 togather. Honestly that is a noble idea, and I hope it all works the way you want it. Father son Time is much needed and in todays society often neglected, I aplaud you for even wanting to spend time with him.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PapaBear8486