Parking Brake Switch Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
Parking brake light stays lit and works fine when parking brake is applied, but when p-brake is off, driving down the road, idling, key just on, etc. the light flickers. Constantly. How does this thing work? It seems like a bad ground - does something get grounded when the brake is off to turn off the light?

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
The ratchet mechanism depresses a switch and grounds it. It's in the driver footwell under the steeringcolumn.
1.The switch may be bent a little to where it's still making contact.
2. The parking cable or the return springs (at the ratchet mechanism or at the drums) could be too lax to where it's allowing for intermittent contact.
3. Fluid level in the reservoir could be getting low & when driving shifting the fluid enough to activate the light.

Last edited:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
It could be the rwal system blinking

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It could be the rwal system blinking

That flashes in a sequence though, not really a flicker. I guess it really depends on what Dave considers to be a flicker.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
It's very erratic, definitely not a sequence. It has all the hallmarks of a loose or bad ground so that's where I'll start. (Thank goodness as I'm sure the RWAL system is loads of fun to diagnose). Thanks for the help everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
IIRC, you can simply unplug the ABS control module and it completely defeats it, including turning the flashing light off. I realize that this info does no good right now, but maybe in the future.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
IIRC, you can simply unplug the ABS control module and it completely defeats it, including turning the flashing light off. I realize that this info does no good right now, but maybe in the future.

Well maybe not so far in the future.... I looked at the flashing more closely and it is flashing a sequence - 4 short and one long. I think Viktor may have been correct.

So I unplugged the top connector on the controller by the m/c - blinking stopped. Then I plugged it back in and the light seemed to reset - now it's off when it should be but I didn't drive it yet. We'll see maybe I'll get lucky? What is it that usually fails on those systems, the controller?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
This is the link I use for reference
http://www.aa1car.com/library/abs_kelseyhayes_rwal.htm

I have not been able to find a source for new replacement parts for the rwal system yet. But have not looked too hard. Mine has an intermitent indication that started after blowing rear wheel cylinders out during the Elk on the road accident.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
You must be registered for see images attach

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Thanks, guys. This may take a while to diagnose, but now it's not doing anything wrong. I drove it today and light behaved properly - brakes did too. Dumb question: the PO replaced the rear-end with a 14 bolt FF from a '77 Burb. That wouldn't cause any problems with the RWAL would it?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Thanks, guys. This may take a while to diagnose, but now it's not doing anything wrong. I drove it today and light behaved properly - brakes did too. Dumb question: the PO replaced the rear-end with a 14 bolt FF from a '77 Burb. That wouldn't cause any problems with the RWAL would it?

Yeah, in some cases it would. The VSS (vehicle speed sensor) is mounted on the transmission and provides the DRAC with a pulsed signal that tracks up/down with road speed. The DRAC takes that AC sine wave input and converts it to a DC square wave output which is then sent to the ECU.

If the final drivetrain is altered (e.g. by changing the axle ratio or installing different sized tires), the ECU will then receive a skewed road speed input. And it will get all pissed off.

But in your situation (4WD), it is doubtful that the PO would have used a rear gear set with a different ratio - unless he also changed the front axle to match the rear. That would only leave off-sized tires to confuse the ECU. You could just revert to the stock size.

Either that or install the correct DRAC for that axle ration. The VSS is not an issue - it is standard across the line.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
If your spedo is accurate, not an issue. If spedo is off, get a soldering iron out and change the jumpers on the drac. Non of the online calculators are exactly correct that I could find. I had to play with jumpers a bit to get correct speed before

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
But in your situation (4WD), it is doubtful that the PO would have used a rear gear set with a different ratio - unless he also changed the front axle to match the rear. That would only leave off-sized tires to confuse the ECU. You could just revert to the stock size.

He used both front and rear axles from the '77 - went from 3.73s to 4.10s. However, the speedo is pretty close in checking with GPS, 1-2 mph off only. So maybe he did that part right. And I took it camping for the last several days and no issues at all. Maybe the reset by unplugging the connector was all it needed. Thanks again for the help.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
He used both front and rear axles from the '77 - went from 3.73s to 4.10s. However, the speedo is pretty close in checking with GPS, 1-2 mph off only. So maybe he did that part right. And I took it camping for the last several days and no issues at all. Maybe the reset by unplugging the connector was all it needed. Thanks again for the help.

It's very erratic, definitely not a sequence. It has all the hallmarks of a loose or bad ground so that's where I'll start.

We may have gone off on a wild goose chase with the whole RWAL thing. Should've listened to Mr. Cuba's thoughts on the subject and checked those first - specifically no. 2 below:

The ratchet mechanism depresses a switch and grounds it. It's in the driver footwell under the steeringcolumn.
1.The switch may be bent a little to where it's still making contact.
2. The parking cable or the return springs (at the ratchet mechanism or at the drums) could be too lax to where it's allowing for intermittent contact.
3. Fluid level in the reservoir could be getting low & when driving shifting the fluid enough to activate the light.

If it happens again, lift up on the e-brake pedal with your toe. If the light goes out...that's all it is.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
No, I don't think it was a wild goose chase. True, I did think it was erratic at first but in a later post I corrected that and said there was a pattern: four short and one long. (The short blinks are very short so it looked at first like a bad ground but definitely now see a repeating pattern). And the blinks stopped by unplugging the RWAL connector at the M/C so I'm pretty sure it was related. And when it was blinking I did mess around with the pedal a fair amount with no change. My worry now is what happens when unplugging and reconnecting the connector doesn't work but I'll cross that one when I come to it. For now - no issues....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lepak