Parking Brake Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjh12090

Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Was pressing on the parking brake on my 86 k10, and there was resistance. So I pushed a little more and then there was a pop noise a the pedal when to the floor. When I pulled the lever to bring the pedal back up it did not come all the way back up. I had to push it up with my foot.
But the pedal would not stay up, so I pulled the cable back out, pushed the pedal up and stuck the end parking brake cable into the hole of the crank mechanism that connects to the cable to crank mechanism under the dash.
Was wondering what that means when that happens? Recently acquired the truck after it say for some years it was garage kept and was gone through ten yrs ago.
I will updated with a pic tomorrow..dark out..explanation isn't the best.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
It sounds like your cable snapped somewhere. Have you ever set the park brake before? You will need to take a look under the truck and see if you can find a break in the cable. Also be sure the rear brakes are released and the wheels can turn freely before you drive it.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Your cable could also have pulled through the y connector near the rear axle on drivers side. There's a metal stop attached to the end of the cables that have been known to let loose.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I usually find that if the cable is going to fail - it happens at the connector just in front of the equalizer:

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmballow02