Painting Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedGeneral

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Okay so I have a BRAND NEW Edelbrock performer Intake that I want to paint. Primer or no primer. Will be using DupliColor engine enamel.

Thoughts?

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
Others will confirm, but I would treat an aluminum prior to paint, whether it be etching or primer. Obviously follow the paint manufacturer instructions. Good luck

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Do you not like the look of the new aluminum? Don't know too many people paint aluminum intakes. What color is the rest of your motor? Do you have any pics of it?

RedGeneral

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Do you not like the look of the new aluminum? Don't know too many people paint aluminum intakes. What color is the rest of your motor? Do you have any pics of it?

I do like the aluminum look however I am going with a gloss black and red paint scheme. Below is what I want to duplicate.
The engine compartment will also be red with a black frame.
You must be registered for see images

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I painted mine with vht engine enamel I believe. I definitely used primer. Can’t remember which primer though. I’ll see if I can find it in my notes or thread.

It still looks good.

You must be registered for see images attach

Part of the reason I did mine is aluminum eventually gets oil stained or smudged. I guess I could have clear coated it if I could find a clear engine enamel. As it is now, it wipes clean easily.

RedGeneral

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I painted mine with vht engine enamel I believe. I definitely used primer. Can’t remember which primer though. I’ll see if I can find it in my notes or thread.

It still looks good.

Part of the reason I did mine is aluminum eventually gets oil stained or smudged. I guess I could have clear coated it if I could find a clear engine enamel. As it is now, it wipes clean easily.

Nice Job and valid point on painting it. The Aluminum is always a great look but it won't stay that way especially if its a driver and not a show piece.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Paint it silver and from 5 feet away people will just assume it's bare aluminum. I don't find clear actually holds up that well. Eventually you'll start seeing corrosion through the clear. As RG said above, for a driver I'd stick with paint.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
It’s worth noting, that I changed my mind after I ordered the intake. Mine, as some makes/models of intakes are, is available in black from the factory. So there’s that option, too.

RedGeneral

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
It’s worth noting, that I changed my mind after I ordered the intake. Mine, as some makes/models of intakes are, is available in black from the factory. So there’s that option, too.

Ordering a different color is a good idea, i didn't think of that, so I did look on Edelbrocks website and the Aluminum is the only option available.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
I clear coated plenty of intakes back in the day, after a trip through the media cabinet. As already said the oil based clear shows wear and cracks, requires another trip to media to redo. I have no info on the water based stuff. I recently did my new motor in vht spray bombs and was very pleased. Paint work is 90% preparation, and 10% application.
Eric

RedGeneral

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I clear coated plenty of intakes back in the day, after a trip through the media cabinet. As already said the oil based clear shows wear and cracks, requires another trip to media to redo. I have no info on the water based stuff. I recently did my new motor in vht spray bombs and was very pleased. Paint work is 90% preparation, and 10% application.
Eric

Did you use VHT for both primer and main color?

Nice Name (Eric)

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Paint it silver and from 5 feet away people will just assume it's bare aluminum. I don't find clear actually holds up that well. Eventually you'll start seeing corrosion through the clear. As RG said above, for a driver I'd stick with paint.
I tried that too, but I must’ve bought the wrong aluminum color. I did the aluminum front drive brackets and intake manifold to match, but it looked super gaudy.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
I did not use any primer, GASP! I spent a lot of time cleaning, seriously a lot. Then sanded/polished the metal to smooth prior to applying paint. Preperation.
Eric

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I tried that too, but I must’ve bought the wrong aluminum color. I did the aluminum front drive brackets and intake manifold to match, but it looked super gaudy.

I usually use a metallic. There are some chrome-look paints that may look like that. I've never found them to look like chrome though.

RedGeneral

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I usually use a metallic. There are some chrome-look paints that may look like

Other than having it dipped I have not found anything on the market that has the same luster as actual chrome.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowers31