Paint Schemes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boondock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 cu. in. (5.7L)
Well, by next summer, I'd like to get my ole 78 painted. She started out crimson red and white with the trim package, and I'd love to go back to that, but well.. Two-tone is expensive. So basically I'm just wondering what some of you guy's suggestions might be. Rather it be two-tone or single tone doesn't matter, just gimme' a suggestion. I'm even thinking of maybe redoing my entire interior, so who knows? Also considering pin stripping.

Schemes running through my head currently:
Original Factory colors
Crimson Red Single Tone
Crimson Red w/ Black Pin Stripping
Gloss Black
Gloss Black w/ Red Pin Stripping
Nice modern/metallica grey
White w/ red pin stripping

So, let me know what you guys think.

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I would say single tone red with the factory trim. I think old77 has a green truck with factory trim that looks pretty sharp.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
I am considering doing an up/down two tone as opposed to the contrasting stripe that I currently have. It isn't original but I don't care. It is mine and what I want. :happy160:

muddyman184

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
steve
Truck Year
90 AND 82
Truck Model
K5,K20
Engine Size
Ive always like black and with like a deep blood red pinstriping

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Stay factory colors. Spending a little extra will be worth it in the end. How in depth are you going to get into this paint job? Are you blowing everything apart to paint the insides of everything? Or are you just doing a nice exterior re-do? I ask for a couple of reasons. First, if you are blowing everything apart, changing to a totally different color will be feasible and do-able. Remember going this route, to do it "right", which you should do, you really should take your whole interior apart so you can paint the bottom portion of the dash. This will also allow you to get the jambs easily. The other end of the spectrum is doing an exterior refresh. If you are doing this, stick with what color your jambs are. If your two-tone carries into the jambs, do the two-tone right away. If your jambs are all red, sorry, crimson, then you can do a solid crimson to match your jambs. That really cuts down on the work not having to cut in the jambs.

So in short...

Blowing everything apart to paint, do whatever you want.

Simple exterior re-do, stick with your factory color.

Again, I say do the factory two-tone right off the bat. If you change the color, you will most likely regret it later, and go through the whole process of re-painting again. That crimson/white combo you have is really sharp!

Boondock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 cu. in. (5.7L)
Stay factory colors. Spending a little extra will be worth it in the end. How in depth are you going to get into this paint job? Are you blowing everything apart to paint the insides of everything? Or are you just doing a nice exterior re-do? I ask for a couple of reasons. First, if you are blowing everything apart, changing to a totally different color will be feasible and do-able. Remember going this route, to do it "right", which you should do, you really should take your whole interior apart so you can paint the bottom portion of the dash. This will also allow you to get the jambs easily. The other end of the spectrum is doing an exterior refresh. If you are doing this, stick with what color your jambs are. If your two-tone carries into the jambs, do the two-tone right away. If your jambs are all red, sorry, crimson, then you can do a solid crimson to match your jambs. That really cuts down on the work not having to cut in the jambs.

So in short...

Again, I say do the factory two-tone right off the bat. If you change the color, you will most likely regret it later, and go through the whole process of re-painting again. That crimson/white combo you have is really sharp!

Believe it or not, my interior's paint and door jams are in EXCELLENT condition. It'd be silly for me to repaint the truck a different color and repaint the interior with it being in the condition it's in. I'm really considering going back original or the old school Hugger Orange/White scheme. Those are my two two-tone schemes. But if not, I'll probably get the solid crimson and get all new trim for some contrasting. Only probably with orange and white is the need for custom dash, door panels, carpet, headliner, and seat. /: If done right, I think it'd be sharp too. But I'm not sure. That crimson red or wine red it was still has a hold on me. Sadly, she probably wont end up painted until I graduate and get a job at DuPont or somewhere welding. Time shall tell, but she'll be on here whenever work starts!

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well I think you have your answer! If your interior and jambs are excellent, stay with the original colors. Forget about the hugger orange, seems like that is the default color for anything chevy. I still say that crimson/white is too sharp to go away from! I could see that with some wide white painted steel wheels with color coordinated hub caps.... :hmm:

Boondock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 cu. in. (5.7L)
Well I think you have your answer! If your interior and jambs are excellent, stay with the original colors. Forget about the hugger orange, seems like that is the default color for anything chevy. I still say that crimson/white is too sharp to go away from! I could see that with some wide white painted steel wheels with color coordinated hub caps.... :hmm:

NICE TRY, GREEN! But I'd probably go white or dark red powder coated Rally's with the 4x4 Center Caps and pretty beauty rings. And I just like orange in general. It's so pretty. :p

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
So in short...

Wise words, but it takes a wise person to follow them.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey! A guy can try! :happy160:

All I will say is... whatever you do, do it RIGHT! Don't cut corners or cheap out on inferior products or procedures. If it's your first time doing something, do your research on it, and do what the pros do. Follow the pros for professional results, follow Billy Bob for red-neck results.

I really do hope you get the results you want. In the end, my opinion is just that, MY opinion. I don't expect to change your mind or sway your path, but I try to. The great thing is that we all like different things, and that keeps this world interesting!

edit: You guys and your silly Rally's!

Boondock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 cu. in. (5.7L)
You and those ugly as sin steels. xD My only reason for not wanting to go back factory is because I want a wowing effect and something different. Plus there's a dude down my road that got his a bright red and white on an '84. >_>

But in the end, if I get the money to go for it, I'll probably go back factory. But for what I've got now and if I feel the need to get it painted now, I'll probably go a single-tone crimson. Iunno. lol But I appreciate the opinions and thoughts.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
For a wow factor, do a bright neon green! Oh wait... there is a truck in my town like that. It definitely gets noticed, but not sure if I like it. I should get a picture of it.

To get paint on your truck, I agree just go with the solid red. Later down the road you can do the white, or whatever you feel like. The only problem I have found with that, is that "down the road" comes around and you don't want to take stuff apart to do something, so I never gets done. That's really the main reason I say do the two tone right away.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ya know, in your first post you mentioned a metallic grey. What if you did a two-tone with your crimson red and the metallic grey?! That could give you the wow factor you are looking for. Use the metallic grey on your Rally's, get a cowl induction hood and do some grey pin-striping on it, or even do some grey stripes. Even paint the insides of your emblems grey too. Then you even have the option to go to a matching gray interior to really pull it all together. You have a red interior right now correct?

edit: In case you have not noticed, I really enjoy the planning stage of things and brainstorming and discussing things with other people! Almost so much so that I never follow through with the majority of my ideas! I have a sweet image of your truck in a finished red/grey paint scheme in my head. If only I had the ability to translate that to a picture like Foose does.

Last edited:

Boondock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 cu. in. (5.7L)
Hell yeah man, that would be pretty nice. I dig planning too, always like new ideas for the truck. It's in my head, and that would be nice as hell. Just keep the ideas coming, my eyes and ears are open. I'd love to see it in a virtual mode.

Ol' Red

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I'm partial to the one color (red). Not sure what my color mine is because I know it was repainted at least once.

Attachments

• Truck.jpg
    Truck.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 193

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man