Opinions on this spark plug issue please...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stumpuller6.5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clancy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500 3+3 Long Box Dually
Engine Size
6.5 Turbo Diesel/SM465/D70
Not saying its the issue but I recommend running a tighter gap, test it out untill you have undesirable miss, keep tightening the gap, I found in my old 454 it ran best at .040" gap, with a supercharger of course, but with the smaller gap the better the spark control and ease on the life of ignition components. White is typically from heavy hydrocarbon fuels, are you running regular? You might benefit from a higher octane fuel and a tighter plug gap. :)

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
I get a rare ping, and it depends on weather conditions, and it only happens when I drop the hammer in 3rd gear heading up the highway with the boat on the back and in dry conditions. If it is humid it is fine. You can hear the knock sensor kick in right away whenever it does pop up. I would say once a week or so.

You need to address the ping issue, if you are hearing it once a week it is happening more often in a range that you don't hear. THis can damage the engine. The CR43TS is the correct plug for the vehicle, but it is possible that the replacement head has raised the compression, this will cause some issues. First thing you need to do is get the tab striaght as possible and check the timing, if it is too hot it can cause the same pinging issue. I am concerned about the ping because it can and will damage the engine and I don't think you want that.

As for the original plug fouling, that fouling in the pictures is common to fuel quality. You can run some injector cleaner about once a month or try a high octane fuel. Most of the time I tell people to avoid independent stations due to the quality issues. I like doing business with smaller places but they normally don't have the volume of business to afford the higher quality controlled fuels.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I run Hess fuel, 87 Octane, and that is not going to be something that I am willing to change. They sell a shitload of fuel so they do get loads in quite often during the week. The emissions label says to gap the plugs a .035. So going from there I am going to put this thing at TDC and take a pic of where the timing mark is in relation to that bent timing tab and go from there.

I really appreciate all the different ideas here guys, thanks for helping.

If I set the timing by the book off that timing tab theoretically you are saying then Jim is the timing too retarded or too advanced? I think it would be retarded right?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I run Hess fuel, 87 Octane, and that is not going to be something that I am willing to change. They sell a shitload of fuel so they do get loads in quite often during the week. The emissions label says to gap the plugs a .035. So going from there I am going to put this thing at TDC and take a pic of where the timing mark is in relation to that bent timing tab and go from there.

I really appreciate all the different ideas here guys, thanks for helping.

If I set the timing by the book off that timing tab theoretically you are saying then Jim is the timing too retarded or too advanced? I think it would be retarded right?
Yes, if you set it per the bent scale, it will be probably 2 or more degrees retarded.
anything to the drivers side of TDC is retarded...except the nut behind the steering wheel.

Timing is supposed to be set at 0 degrees, a little over 2 IF you cant get that timing scale to straigten out, but that is just a guesstimation from what I can see in the pics. The timing tables in the programming are pretty conservative, so as far as the ping is concerned, it may be a knock sensor, or EGR issue. The Timing tab is priority 1. Also, you will have a hard time finding exact TDC with a screwdriver and a jacked timing tab....it could end up being a degree or so off . Only way to find it 100% is to pull the head off and put a dial indecator on the piston....well, there is another way, but its a little risky. You need a valve spring compressor, along with a dial indicator, and all you have to take off is the drivers side rocker arm cover.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yes, if you set it per the bent scale, it will be probably 2 or more degrees retarded.
anything to the drivers side of TDC is retarded...except the nut behind the steering wheel.

Timing is supposed to be set at 0 degrees, a little over 2 IF you cant get that timing scale to straigten out, but that is just a guesstimation from what I can see in the pics. The timing tables in the programming are pretty conservative, so as far as the ping is concerned, it may be a knock sensor, or EGR issue. The Timing tab is priority 1. Also, you will have a hard time finding exact TDC with a screwdriver and a jacked timing tab....it could end up being a degree or so off . Only way to find it 100% is to pull the head off and put a dial indecator on the piston....well, there is another way, but its a little risky. You need a valve spring compressor, along with a dial indicator, and all you have to take off is the drivers side rocker arm cover.

I think I got a dial indicator kit buried in the garage somewhere. I guess I can't use that through the spark plug hole.

Anybody can get me a pic of their tab for this style engine to compare to??

Also Jim, on that tab, what is that tube for?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I think I got a dial indicator kit buried in the garage somewhere. I guess I can't use that through the spark plug hole.

Anybody can get me a pic of their tab for this style engine to compare to??

Also Jim, on that tab, what is that tube for?

I think that tube may be TDC on that engine, but I think maybe Dhamp would have to confirm that for us, unless anyone else is watching, who has an 87-91 TBI 350.... mine has the earlier mark. See if you can makenout any numbers on it, and go from there.
If you can turn the engine until the groove on the balancer is righ next the to either straight edge of the scale, you want to bend the scale back, until the groove is parallel to the scale edge, the timing cover may be bent out, scewing the mak, in which case, you might be able to use an exstention and a hammer to knock it back into place, instead of grabbing the scale with pliers.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I think that tube may be TDC on that engine, but I think maybe Dhamp would have to confirm that for us, unless anyone else is watching, who has an 87-91 TBI 350.... mine has the earlier mark. See if you can makenout any numbers on it, and go from there.
If you can turn the engine until the groove on the balancer is righ next the to either straight edge of the scale, you want to bend the scale back, until the groove is parallel to the scale edge, the timing cover may be bent out, scewing the mak, in which case, you might be able to use an exstention and a hammer to knock it back into place, instead of grabbing the scale with pliers.

Yah, good thinking using the timing mark as a straight edge/square. I just hope it don't break off or create a leak figiting with it. There are numbers.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Grab yourself a mechanics mirror, unless you.....**** this, Im PMing you with my phone number.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Ok, just talked to 89S....splained to him about taking his water pump off, so he can get to the timing cover, and straighten that scale. worth the time to get it right. Also, his slight pinging issue under accelleration, may be casued by his EGR Valve being disabled, looking into fixing that once the timing is set correctly.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Ok, just talked to 89S....splained to him about taking his water pump off, so he can get to the timing cover, and straighten that scale. worth the time to get it right. Also, his slight pinging issue under accelleration, may be casued by his EGR Valve being disabled, looking into fixing that once the timing is set correctly.

Ok, thanks for the game plan, will try and get to this over the weekend! :grd:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

I run my '88 at 10* advanced, IIRC. I run a 180 stat, no egr, and a heated O2 sensor and I never get ping. Throttle response is great and so is power, even with 180K hard miles on it. I can get pictures of timing tabs if needed, on and off the motor.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I run my '88 at 10* advanced, IIRC. I run a 180 stat, no egr, and a heated O2 sensor and I never get ping. Throttle response is great and so is power, even with 180K hard miles on it. I can get pictures of timing tabs if needed, on and off the motor.

What grade of gas are you running?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What grade of gas are you running?

Just the low grade crap they sell around here, it's 87. There is the chance the timing is set at 8 (it's been like 7 years), but I'm pretty sure I set it at 10*.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kipps5000