Only head lights working?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Causingdefiance

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
The other day I noticed the instrument cluster lights weren't working, so I checked the fuses all good there, then I noticed I had no running lights either. Then I noticed no brake lights or reverse lights. Only blinkers/hazards/headlights were working.So I started ripping everything apart. Steering coloumn wires looked good so I moved to the fuse box.noticed the insulation on a few wires were gone so I replaced them fixed all wiring and put it all back together. And still nothing. So I moved to the fire wall noticed a blown fuse replaced that and still nothing. Then I ran a hot wire straight to the fuse box cause I wasn't getting power to the light fuse, when I connected it and something went wrong, now the only lights I have now is the head lights and front right blinker everything else went out. I can't seem to figure this out, any thoughts? I have power to everything in the fuse box but the light fuse. And running that hot wire seemed to make things worst.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I have power to everything in the fuse box but the light fuse.

What do you mean by the "light fuse"? Are you talking about the whole the top row (traffic hazard, TL/stop/courtesy)?

Here is a close shot of your fuse block front and back. Refer to it when/if you answer:

You must be registered for see images attach

The wiring diagram for the rest of the system (in 3 sections):

I have no experience with a 1973 Chevy truck - so I can't tell you where the ground points are, but be sure to check the grounding for your front lighting system. See the yellow highlights in the first system dwg.

Last edited:

Causingdefiance

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
I have power to everything in the fuse box but the light fuse.

What do you mean by the "light fuse"? Are you talking about the whole the top row (traffic hazard, TL/stop/courtesy)?
The "pnl/lts " fuse has no power going through it with the light switch on and I replaced the light switch to make sure it wasn't the problem

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Looking at my old 74 fuse block, the pnl/lts fuse has a green wire and a gray wire connected to the fuse blades. I traced the wires back and the green gets power from the light switch. The gray goes to the instrument cluster connector. The park /running lights also go thru the headlight switch so I would start looking at the switch.

Headlight switch -------------green--------Fuse---gray------cluster connector.

Causingdefiance

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
Looking at my old 74 fuse block, the pnl/lts fuse has a green wire and a gray wire connected to the fuse blades. I traced the wires back and the green gets power from the light switch. The gray goes to the instrument cluster connector. The park /running lights also go thru the headlight switch so I would start looking at the switch.

Headlight switch -------------green--------Fuse---gray------cluster connector.

Got all the lights and brake lights working again. Now all that's left is the heater fan not coming on. Again checked the fuse checked the fan motor both work fine. Being a 73 the fan stays on all the time on low. Any thought ? I also checked the wiring all looks good too.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
No blower operation (with the motor tested good - and power available at the speed control switch) usually indicates a short/open within the resistor stack.

Located as shown here:

Causingdefiance

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
No blower operation (with the motor tested good - and power available at the speed control switch) usually indicates a short/open within the resistor stack.

Located as shown here:

Yeah had more corroded wires right there so I had changed out the wires and works perfect. Everything back to normal thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD