Oil Primer tool. Make your own, the easy way from your own scrap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Aww, got all distracted yesterday. Here's what I have to accomplish the deed.
You must be registered for see images attach

One of those I added a piece of DOM to keep centered with. Modified the drive tip too. This is stuff I haven't played with in far too long....

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
I'm glad someone mentioned the cheap priming tools, or some hack ways. You have to have either a modded distributor or you have to buy a nicer priming tool.

YOU ARE NOT OILING PROPERLY! Not the entire engine anyways. There's a reason why the body of the distributors are shaped the way they are..
That is correct, here's why!

No matter if intake on or off --- by using a old distributor Ensures the R&L galleries are dammed as is required to build pressure --- I've done it for years.
*seen some of those cheapo primers whose "bushing" design can Never bridge galleries or they leak badly --- junk.
*seen a guy push oil into block under pressure using a modded $10 garden sprayer.
* similarly, saw where you use an old chevy pump --- but laying outside and driven w/ a drill motor to push oil into block.
* it's just a primer; not a rocket ship.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
That is correct, here's why!

No matter if intake on or off --- by using a old distributor Ensures the R&L galleries are dammed as is required to build pressure --- I've done it for years.
*seen some of those cheapo primers whose "bushing" design can Never bridge galleries or they leak badly --- junk.
*seen a guy push oil into block under pressure using a modded $10 garden sprayer.
* similarly, saw where you use an old chevy pump --- but laying outside and driven w/ a drill motor to push oil into block.
* it's just a primer; not a rocket ship.
Did the guy that pushed oil into the block have his factory distributor in place at the time? I fully believe if the engine is completely assembled if you pressurize the main oil galley your rods and mains will have oil on startup,and that is the goal. I pirated the thought from 1980s accusumps in 1980s ,but I'm always willing to learn. Have any of you checked accusimps you should just for the cool factor.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-11-18_115039.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-11-18_115039.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 19

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
A pair I have used over the last 50 years.
I cut the top bases off mine as well, clearance for the drill and it just looks proper. The shaft chucks up perfectly in a standard drill, it was meant to be.

On a side note for everyone, you should also be rotating the engine over by hand while also priming. You don't necessarily need to be priming while turning it over, but that will give the best results. This will also cure the "why arent all my rockers oiling" question. This as well as the crank and cam and oil passages will thank you.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I cut the top bases off mine as well, clearance for the drill and it just looks proper. The shaft chucks up perfectly in a standard drill, it was meant to be.

On a side note for everyone, you should also be rotating the engine over by hand while also priming. You don't necessarily need to be priming while turning it over, but that will give the best results. This will also cure the "why arent all my rockers oiling" question. This as well as the crank and cam and oil passages will thank you.

I "machined" mine down on the bench grinder.

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe