Oil Pressure Gauge problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Then I'm lost. They thread into a 1/8 NPT and detect pressure. Some say they are a "light" which I assume illuminates a dummy the light. Some say "gauge" which I assumed are for the gauge cluster. None explain why there are so many choices.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
There are 11 options that say they fit. 7 if I narrow by brand.

You must be registered for see images attach

Never mind, the $35.99 one is the identical sensor to the NAPA one. It is the only one of the ones you posted that is a sensor for a gauge. The rest are switches to turn a light on or do other things. The reason they have so many is this year truck could have more than one oil pressure switch. They also had one down near the oil filter that was used for choke activation and some other things.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
They say "Light" in the description if they are a switch.... A switch just closes the contact when it sees above a certain pressure and connects the two terminals. The one that doesn't say "light" is the $35 one and it is a sensor that changes the resistance to ground based on the amount of pressure it detects. There appears to be only one "gauge" option and a bunch of different "light" options

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
The fun part is there are ones that have switch in the title, gauge in the description, and have the same part number but with a letter designation at the end. That's why I am looking for someone with firsthand experience of a good part number. I can catalog shop too but don't want to end up buying multiple sensors/senders/switches.

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
The fun part is there are ones that have switch in the title, gauge in the description, and have the same part number but with a letter designation at the end. That's why I am looking for someone with firsthand experience of a good part number. I can catalog shop too but don't want to end up buying multiple sensors/senders/switches.

To me, those parts are probably identical in function, but one is a silver metal finish and the other one is that bronze color. One could be their basic line, and the other a higher end offering, but both have same specs and functionality.

I recently installed a new sending unit, and I got mine from NAPA. I told it my vehicle and engine and for a 1980 350, it recommended one part, and it was a 60 psi. I bought it and installed it and it works perfectly. Maybe check the NAPA site and see what they show and maybe just get it from them and be done with it.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I just did this. Here's what I did and it works great. Went to advanced and bought this mechanical gauge.

Comes with everything you need. Then I took the little set screw out in the front drivers side behind the ps pump above the oil pan with an Allen wrench. I think there's like 4 of them that run along the side of the motor.

Then ran the plastic tube thru the firewall and mounted it down by the parking break lever.

Then tested it and worked perfect.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Then came back and put wire loom over the plastic tube and fastened to fender well. Done.

Hope this helps

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
I removed an aftermarket mechanical gauge and cut the copper tube running into the cab. I like the cleaner look of a factory gauge cluster. I picked up two sensors from advanced. I have an extra threaded plug I can use on the passenger side head for coolant temperature. I bought a threaded boss for the oil cooler bypass boss for the oil pressure. I'll be able to read out the oil pressure through my LS PCM and compare it to the factory gauge cluster.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
The gauges I got at Advance Auto work great. The backlighting leaves a lot to be desired though... I hope the printed circuit board isn't the issue. I guess I need to look into LEDs.