Oil Exploded All Over Engine Bay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, my first guess will be trans cooling lines since it's under the hood. If those are good, then maybe the Vac Modulator if a Th350 or Th400 has gone bad and trans fluid is being vacced into the into the intake. Usually if the Vac mod has gone bad that way, then you'll be burning some trans fluid out the tailpipe too. In extreme cases, lots of white smoke.

Red 87

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I just went through this same thing earlier this year in June. It was one of the metal transmission cooling lines going to the radiator, but the main offender in my case was the A.I.R. pump. One of its lower bolts backed itself out, which caused the pump to turn sideways a bit, and its pulley started rubbing on the cooler line. Cut out the nicked part of the line and mended it with a small length of rubber fuel injection hose and two worm clamps. Six months and ~10K miles later, and no problem.

dangonzo

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey guys thanks for all the responses. I think the issue was a clogged vent tube. I crawled under there and it was caked over with dirt and oil. I think the fact that the tube was clogged meant that the pressurized fluid was being forced up the dipstick which would explain why some ended up on the hood. Will definitely keep a lookout for the cooler lines though.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Hey guys thanks for all the responses. I think the issue was a clogged vent tube. I crawled under there and it was caked over with dirt and oil. I think the fact that the tube was clogged meant that the pressurized fluid was being forced up the dipstick which would explain why some ended up on the hood. Will definitely keep a lookout for the cooler lines though.
:big_banana_Dance:Lol cool you got it rectified

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Hey they are innocent until proven guilty....right? Lol

No. That was the olden days. This is 2017 and you are guilty until proven innocent.
Just ask any WHITE MAN in the news lately that gets accused of "sexual harrassment".

Is this just talk? Where are we?

Oh. I see said the blind man.
O.p. trans cooler lines and ****. They rub hizzoles. :poop:
Fix it with fuel hose and worm gear clamps. Axe anybody.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76