Oil Exploded All Over Engine Bay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dangonzo

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey Everyone,

I noticed a thick cloud of exhaust smoke behind me while driving and when I parked and checked it out I saw that oil had exploded all over the passenger side of the engine bay. There's no oil on the driver side of the engine bay, and as you can see in the picture there's quite a bit of white smoke coming from the exhaust manifold. What could this be and what should my first steps be to figure out the culprit?

You must be registered for see images attach

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Clean it up. Check engine oil level. Top off if necessary. Start engine. Use your observation skills to determine where the oil is coming from.
Most likely loose valve cover.
You're lucky it didn't burn down.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Oil pressure sending unit ? this will empty the oil real fast, within a minute.
Is there an aftermarket OP gauge that is tube fed ?
Other wise, clean it all up real good with some solvent or BBQ lighter fuel{same stuff} then warsh it down good with soap and water, dry it off real good, fire up the engine, if it is leaking ral bad, shut off engine then look for leaks.
if it is leaking not so bad, check where the leaks is coming from whilst the engine is running.
May have blowed a rocker cover gasket on that side too.

dangonzo

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
While cleaning up the engine bay today I noticed that the fluid was actually transmission fluid. I've seen some things that point to a clogged vent tube so I'm gonna try to see what I can see.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
You're lucky you caught it. Trans fluid is flammable and many a nice vehicle have been converted to ashes from trans fluid leaks on a hot exhaust.

flying2275

Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
While cleaning up the engine bay today I noticed that the fluid was actually transmission fluid. I've seen some things that point to a clogged vent tube so I'm gonna try to see what I can see.

I'd check the transmission cooler lines going into the radiator. They run along the passenger side of the engine bay on the frame and connect to the radiator above the coolant recovery tank. It may be a pin hole leak so you'd have start up the truck to find it. Make sure to add transmission fluid prior to this.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'd check the transmission cooler lines going into the radiator. They run along the passenger side of the engine bay on the frame and connect to the radiator above the coolant recovery tank. It may be a pin hole leak so you'd have start up the truck to find it. Make sure to add transmission fluid prior to this.

I agree, those cooler lines should be highly suspect.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Not if they got blood all over their hands, lol.
Could be pumping it out the vent.... and in that case the lines would have been faulsly accused. It could be pushing it out the dipstick tube also

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
True. But everytime I've had something push out the vent, it ends up under the truck.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Hey a side note to OP ATF is an awsome degreaser. Gotta grow a positive in every once in a while to offset a negative. Keeps you sane.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg