Oil coolers: school me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtyDYT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
‘79
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
To begin with, I’d like to add oil coolers to both my trucks for under $200 each. I have a myriad of questions and internet searches are not helping at all. The engine I am referencing is an ‘85 Gen IV 454 block.

Scenario 1: Bolt on oil filter type adapters ($125 ebay kits with electric fan on the cooler)

Are they good, bad, neutral?

I assume I would not need to change much of anything besides installing the thing into the block and mounting up the filter?

Are these reliable in the long run? Do they require any special seals or fittings? How long will the clamped on rubber lines last?

Scenario 2: Plumb hard lines into the block. (Go OEM?)

The plugs for the lines are 1/8” and on the driver side galley next to the pan, correct? And one above the filter?

Will I need to remove a bypass valve somewhere? Which holes are sends and which are returns?

Do I need to use OEM fittings and coolers or is there an aftermarket/kit option? ‘Cause I’m having a hard time finding anything via google. It’s all irrelevant ads and oil cooler delete threads.

Background:

The K30’s oil pressure gets low when she gets real hot or picks up the highway on summer days. I’d like to rememdy that as much as I can. Yes, it may be main bearings but I’d still feel better running it cooler with a bit thicker lube.

The C10 is a “slap a 454 in it!” low buck swap. Reusing the small block rad/trans cooler setup so any additional cooling would be great, especially with my lead foot. It’s the one I will be installing a cooler in first, assuming someone out there can help me figure out wtf I actually need.

Thanks in advance!

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
My truck has the OEM engine oil cooler. I'm pretty sure the cooler is been out of production a long time. I know LMC carries the hoses. Here are the part number and descriptions of the lines Lower/inlet: GM 12472195 or Dorman 625-131. Upper/outlet GM 12472196 or Dorman 625-132.

My truck is currently getting a new 454 installed. I was going to the shop tomorrow or Friday to check on progress, I'll see if I can find the part number on the adapter. I don't know if you need to remove the bypass though if installing the OEM cooler set up. Photo 2 also shows the factory electric fan that came on '81 and up 454 trucks with a tow package.

I would guess it more cost effective to go with the aftermarket set up.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205

DirtyDYT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
‘79
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thank you Craig! That’s super useful info, especially the part numbers and drawing. Now I know what I’m actually looking for! No lie, I had thought the lines plumbed directly into the block in the OEM configuration. It’s actually much easier!

I found a couple used oil filter adapters for $50-60 on eBay that could keep me under budget if mated to a $125 cooler with fan kit. Is there any reason to go with a new adapter over a used one? How many guys actually run a gasket above the adapter? I’ve heard of folks doing it both ways.

Also I realized $200 is a stingy goal. I can probably bump up the budget if I absolutely have to.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
As long as the mating surfaces are flat and the threads are good, I don't see a problem with used. There is a gasket between the adapter and block. I just got one from Napa for my truck.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FPBES72671

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
Had the LE8 style OEM setup on my '73 Sub back in the day. Worked fine, No problems. Simple installation.

It was mounted to the radiator support that had the appropriate holes for installation. The one pictured above mounts in front of radiator. Should be just as good.

The best way to hook to the motor is the LL4 style above, if your motor has the plugged holes in the block.

The 1/8" hole is used for a gauge or signal. WAY to small to use for oil cooler.

DirtyDYT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
‘79
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Great info guys! I ordered a used adapter and gasket. I’m still keeping my eyes open as far as oil coolers go. I’ll try to go factory if I can. Missed my shot at a factory oil cooler setup for $50 in the classifieds here, argh!

Plan is to start with the K30 which is currently on DD duty. It hasn’t hiccuped yet which I am super thankful for. You rarely buy a reliable old truck but the previous owner put some work into making this work. And my normally reliable commuter Accord is having old worn out clutch type problems so the truck is being put to the test over the next couple days.

Can anyone offer me the measurements of the OEM oil cooler? That could make sourcing an appropriately sized aftermarket unit a lot easier. Thanks in advance!

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Can anyone offer me the measurements of the OEM oil cooler? That could make sourcing an appropriately sized aftermarket unit a lot easier. Thanks in advance!

Overall width is 9.5" wide tube to tube, the finned core is 12" tall plus the factory brackets. Here's some pictures of mine.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I suggest looking at the Long Tru-Cool coolers. They used to be the supplier for many of the OEM coolers, and they work really well.

Bruce

DirtyDYT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
‘79
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Overall width is 9.5" wide tube to tube, the finned core is 12" tall plus the factory brackets. Here's some pictures of mine.

Excellent, thank you again! You’ve been ridiculously helpful with this build already and it doesn’t go unappreciated.

I suggest looking at the Long Tru-Cool coolers. They used to be the supplier for many of the OEM coolers, and they work really well.

Bruce

I will definitely look into them. Thanks Bruce!

You've got some good hands in here @DirtyDYT . Rest easy, these ol boys are takin good care of yas! :headbang:

No doubt! I’ve never been on a forum as quick to help and slow to critique as this one!

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size

DirtyDYT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
‘79
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I think this is the largest engine oil cooler that Tru-Cool makes. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TQ3BG2/ref=psdc_3147731011_t2_B003TPUL2K

Their product brochures say that you can buy their coolers as a kit with all the brackets, hoses and the oil filter adapter, but I haven't found the full kit online.

Bruce

Cool, thank you! Price is right about what I expected. I already bought a used adapter so I won’t need the a kit, assuming they exist. I’ll double check the size of the electric fan ebay unit I was looking at. I think it was similar to this one.

Have not heard of them personally but prices look relatively competetive and it seems like a “one stop” kind of place if you know what you need. May well use them as the projects progress.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20