454 engine oil cooler housing leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coldercorgi6637

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super C20
Engine Size
On my 73 c20 camper special, and the 454, the engine oil cooler filter housing is leaking above the oil filter. I could use some help finding a gasket for the housing to the engine block, or if anyone has info on where I can buy a non cooling filter housing with a gasket. Thanks in advance!

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Felpro used to make a gasket kit for the oil cooler adapter.

If you remove that adapter the filter adapter from an SBC or BBC will work.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I wouldn't remove it. You can buy generic trim to fit gasket material that is cut-to-fit ,if you have too much trouble sourcing the correct part - taking it off would be my absolute. last. resort. and even then I would try not to.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Correct kit, napa also has them if thats easier. Have resealed countless of them. Only hard part is the smaller gasket in the block recess. Sometimes they are really stuck. I use an air tool to buff it off. Just be sure to rinse all the old material out.

And of course oil will be dripping on you unless adapter is removed a day ahead.

edit, if you're really intent on removing the cooler all that is needed is a non oil cooler casting, almost every big or small V8 or 4.3 V6 has one. Should be easy to locate.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Any parts store, Ebay, amazon. The gasket kits are readily available. I bought one for my K30 recently, from one of them. No reason to eliminate the oil cooler if it just needs a gasket.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad