Oil Cooler Lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

anubisani

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
SEAN
Truck Year
Truck Model
R/V 3500
Engine Size
454 TBI TH400 4:11 gears
this is what I did after I found a leak in the original hard lines. has worked good so far, this is the hose used in racing . I wanted to use fuel injection clamps but they don't make them this big

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
If you ever have the free time can you help me out and give me a list with links of everything you think I would need to mount a trans cooler on my Burb? I would be just tying into the hard lines at the radiator and running to a cooler in front of the radiator. So the original hard line will be going into the rad, then a line coming out to the cooler, then a line tying into the return hard line.

Also, I am assuming the pressure line is the bottom line and the return is the top line?

I think I understand what your saying, kinda like T-fittings threaded into the radiator that have stainless lines going to a cooler in the front?

The only problem would be the flow, it would really be doing nothing unless you mounted it in a series like multiple batteries. You would have to buy an adapter to thread into the radiator, run a line to the external cooler and then run a line to the original return hard line. To plumb it back into the return line your going to have to shorten the factory line by cutting and flaring it or just hose clamping the stainless line right onto it.

Another thing to consider is the heat transfer going on with the factory setup, your atf is getting heated by engine coolant, think of how close a ***** and a butthole are from each other, thats whats between 200 degree coolant and your ATF.

Transmissions like to be cool, they live longer but you can also overcool them. Factory setup is about perfect for keeping the trans temp around where it should be.

If you really want to do an external cooler I suggest just getting the adapters that thread into the trans case and running your own stainless lines. I think it cost me around 150 to do everything including a B&M trans cooler.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
And by stainless lines I actually mean braided stainless hose from summit racing with an fittings attached on each end.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I opted out of mounting an external atf because of all the problems I have had with rubber atf lines even though I used hoses SPECIFICALLY for atf...failure still occurred. I have had two flex lines burst, one of which led to a small fire when the atf sprayed onto my exhaust manifold while on the freeway. After putting out the fire and cleaning up the 2 quarts of fluid sprayed all over the motor and undercarriage ...I opted to ditch the external cooler. The main problem that I have come across is sourcing a simple adapter that connects the oem hard lined flare fitting to a female flare threaded hose barb. I opted to run a larger atf cooler that utilizes 1/2" id soft lines. The smaller atf coolers have very small lines and dont adequately drop the temps in my opinion. Driving in the heat of Az does a number on auto transmissions and while I realize the importance of dropping the temps, the fear of a bursting a soft line worries me constantly.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan87r10