Oil Cooler Lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dknapp

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I'm wanting to replace my stock steel hard lines with steel braided line just because I think it looks better I don't think I will give any performance boost. What I need to know is what adapter I need for the NPT to AN conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dknapp

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
What size fitting is in the stock tranny cooler and in the tranny itself

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Get these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-AN-transm...ngs-GM-Turbo-350-400-700R-4L60E-/230286563204

I did the exact same thing to my truck, worth while project. There is just about any adapter you can imagine, I even found an adapter with an o-ring that threads into my factory TBI so I can run -6 stainless fuel lines.

While your at it, order a transmission oil cooler with AN fittings. They are actually cheap as hell and you dont have to find another adapter for the ports on your radiator.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Get these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-AN-transm...ngs-GM-Turbo-350-400-700R-4L60E-/230286563204

I did the exact same thing to my truck, worth while project. There is just about any adapter you can imagine, I even found an adapter with an o-ring that threads into my factory TBI so I can run -6 stainless fuel lines.

While your at it, order a transmission oil cooler with AN fittings. They are actually cheap as hell and you dont have to find another adapter for the ports on your radiator.

Hard lines for the transmission suck and get in the way so much. Soft lines are way better and when you need to do any work they come off so much easier.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Hard lines for the transmission suck and get in the way so much. Soft lines are way better and when you need to do any work they come off so much easier.

I dont know if I have ever seen trans hard lines that were not all twisted up and routed incorrectly. 90% of the ones I see are all stretched out and just half ass run with rubber hose and clamp repairs leaking **** everywhere.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Get these:

I need to do this at some point. Thanks for the info. They make a complete kit?

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I need to do this at some point. Thanks for the info. They make a complete kit?

I have not seen a kit, you just kinda piece it together. I order different fittings just in case, perfect example is right where the lines connect to the transmission, it looked like straight ones would work but 45 degree ones were perfect.

Dont get caught up in all the ******** they sell for doing this stuff. Nothing cuts the hose better than a cut off wheel, I tried several different cutters but so far the easiest is wrapping the line in tape and cutting it with a high speed cutoff wheel.

The clamps they sell to hold it in a vice while you put it together only seem to work on straight fittings. The only tool I recommend is an adjustable aluminum wrench so you dont mar up the fittings.

The rest is just cake. Cut the hose, slide the outer part over the hose end. Put some globs of petroleum jelly inside the hose and thread the inner part in as far as you can my hand. Wrap the outter red part of the fitting with a shitload of painters tape and clamp some vice grips on it. Use the aluminum wrench to turn the center blue part all the way in.

Summit sells their brand stuff for cheap, the fittings and hose work great. So far no problems and im using it for fuel injected fuel line and trans cooler lines.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Fittings are cheap.. Its the hose/tubing that gets STUPID expensive.

Dknapp

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Thanks for the info guys. Does anyone know the size of the fittings in the radiator by chance?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Tubing is 5/16" OD.

Fittings (on both ends) are 1/2"-20, inverted flare.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I have not seen a kit, you just kinda piece it together. I order different fittings just in case, perfect example is right where the lines connect to the transmission, it looked like straight ones would work but 45 degree ones were perfect.

Dont get caught up in all the ******** they sell for doing this stuff. Nothing cuts the hose better than a cut off wheel, I tried several different cutters but so far the easiest is wrapping the line in tape and cutting it with a high speed cutoff wheel.

The clamps they sell to hold it in a vice while you put it together only seem to work on straight fittings. The only tool I recommend is an adjustable aluminum wrench so you dont mar up the fittings.

The rest is just cake. Cut the hose, slide the outer part over the hose end. Put some globs of petroleum jelly inside the hose and thread the inner part in as far as you can my hand. Wrap the outter red part of the fitting with a shitload of painters tape and clamp some vice grips on it. Use the aluminum wrench to turn the center blue part all the way in.

Summit sells their brand stuff for cheap, the fittings and hose work great. So far no problems and im using it for fuel injected fuel line and trans cooler lines.

If you ever have the free time can you help me out and give me a list with links of everything you think I would need to mount a trans cooler on my Burb? I would be just tying into the hard lines at the radiator and running to a cooler in front of the radiator. So the original hard line will be going into the rad, then a line coming out to the cooler, then a line tying into the return hard line.

Also, I am assuming the pressure line is the bottom line and the return is the top line?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well the easiest way is to get a brake flaring tool and do a bubble on the hardline then hose clamp it down.

You'll need transmission safe hose.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Well the easiest way is to get a brake flaring tool and do a bubble on the hardline then hose clamp it down.

You'll need transmission safe hose.

I never liked that setup, it always winds up leaking. If there is a better way I will pay for it. I think Retro's buddy made hard lines, i got to look up his posts...

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I never liked that setup, it always winds up leaking. If there is a better way I will pay for it. I think Retro's buddy made hard lines, i got to look up his posts...

I did this exact thing for a fuel line and have absolutely no issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1977chevyc30