"oh crap" handles...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Corpse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ramon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
Anyone install done handles on the inside of their lifted trucks to make them easier to get into? Mines just stock with 33s on it but my girl is short and has to climb in unless i pick her up and toss her in!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My '79 had one (on the dash) when I got it but I took it out because it wasn't very useful just for enter/exit. A handle on the a-pillar like the newer trucks would work best.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

Cowboy Cadillac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ive been looking into doing the same thing on my outfit. Ive been looking into using the handles out of a newer truck and bolting them to A pillar using screws with solid hollow wall anchors....

canadianboy

Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Thread digger

Anyone find a good handle? My girl is gonna complain after the 4" lift and 33's... and i don't like jumping either :bleh:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
We are renting 2 Freightliners at work that have some real nice handles. I'll have to try and remember this thread and get some pics and maybe dig up some part numbers.

EEEZNOW

Reaction score
First Name
D
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I would like to see some of these as well. I have a bad back and left leg and want to do a 4 inch lift on mine.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Very ****** picture, very hard to find on-line. I will get better ones at work. These just bolt on the inside of the body/door jamb. Peterbuilts have smaller fist sized "D" shaped handles. This is a Freightliner handle which I like alot:

You must be registered for see images

canadianboy

Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Where would be the easiest place to install a handle? Somewhere that would stand up to the abuse of people pulling themselves into the truck. I don't want torn sheet metal and someone falling to the ground...:(

Currently I have no dash (few months that way after I ran it over with my JETTA) so I'm not real worried about looks. More worried about strength and convenience. Would the front pillar be good for mounting?

canadianboy

Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
You must be registered for see images attach

That's GMT right? How could I attach one in my 77? Is there enough steel there to bolt it in? I was thinking a length of pipe bent with two 90• bends on each of the ends and flattened ends for bolts?

roving4s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
xxxx
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Get some real rock sliders mounted, then mount a light bar behind the cab. You got a rock solid step, something that can support the weight of the truck, protection.

canadianboy

Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Get some real rock sliders mounted, then mount a light bar behind the cab. You got a rock solid step, something that can support the weight of the truck, protection.

Where can I find a design for sliders? What about a roll/light bar? I was thinking about these bully steps (http://m.summitracing.com/parts/plt-as-600). But if I can get some sliders made all the better. I have a cousin who's a welder/fabricator by trade. For a case I beer and materials I can get something made. He welds aluminum also.

roving4s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
xxxx
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
All those filmsy pos are useless, except for steps and will bend on the first impact.

Want rock sliders, trail gear,marlin crawler, a bunch of other sells them ( google rock slider). Fish plate the mounts to the frame, add some arms and some bends in the front and rear main rail your good to go.. If you only want them to run from behind the front fender to the back of the cab. you could prob use some for a yota truck or 4runner. I'd have to go out and measure the k10.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
That's GMT right? How could I attach one in my 77? Is there enough steel there to bolt it in? I was thinking a length of pipe bent with two 90• bends on each of the ends and flattened ends for bolts?

Ya it is, under the trim on a GMT there are two tabs welded to the a pillar with captured nuts that the handle screws into. Next time I'm at the yard I'll try an grab a picture. I need one anyway because I want to add handles on the Dr side on my 98 so I can quit pulling on the steering wheel when getting in...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3dbello