"oh crap" handles...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

canadianboy

Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
All those filmsy pos are useless, except for steps and will bend on the first impact.

Want rock sliders, trail gear,marlin crawler, a bunch of other sells them ( google rock slider). Fish plate the mounts to the frame, add some arms and some bends in the front and rear main rail your good to go.. If you only want them to run from behind the front fender to the back of the cab. you could prob use some for a yota truck or 4runner. I'd have to go out and measure the k10.

Does anybody have a plan to build some? And it would need to have a decent step built in. I don't have spare cash because I'm planing to move soon, so I'd rather not buy a set.
As for handle, the front pillar? That seems like the most convenient place. Or maybe above the door? The pics of the rigs handles wouldn't be if much help where they are. And again, I would rather weld something up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roving4s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
xxxx
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Just measure the length from behind the front fender, to the rear of the cab. Then measure out towards to the rocker panel. If you want them to bend in add and extra 2' or so for the length of the outside. Use some cardboard tubes to mock it up, Then cut and weld it together. Make sure you fish plate the brackets to the frame.

canadianboy

Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Just measure the length from behind the front fender, to the rear of the cab. Then measure out towards to the rocker panel. If you want them to bend in add and extra 2' or so for the length of the outside. Use some cardboard tubes to mock it up, Then cut and weld it together. Make sure you fish plate the brackets to the frame.

What is fish plating? Those sliders seem way stronger than I need.. But I'll talk to my cuz. He's building a 69 GMC for off-road. Maybe he is already making a set similar to what I need.

roving4s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
xxxx
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
What is fish plating? Those sliders seem way stronger than I need.. But I'll talk to my cuz. He's building a 69 GMC for off-road. Maybe he is already making a set similar to what I need.

round tube is better, square works just doesn't slide as well on rocks,stumps.

fish plating -
You must be registered for see images attach

canadianboy

Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
By fishplate to the frame, you mean just have a large mounting plate going to the frame? Because my understanding of a fishplate is used to repair a cracked or cut frame etc. is this just to reduce stress on the frame?

canadianboy

Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I still don't see why this is needed. This all seems to be for repairing or cutting the frame. Can I not just bolt them to the frame? Or weld? Or do you mean just use the same diamond principle for the mounts to avoid stress points?

roving4s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
xxxx
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Yes it reduces the stress on the frame.

Last edited:

canadianboy

Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Ok that makes sense now. That's a really in depth article in that link. Thanks.

canadianboy

Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I like how he drinks the syrup. Haha but I don't see that handle being that much help getting in. It's too far back. But that's a damn nice looking truck billy bob has there.

roving4s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
xxxx
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
It's not used for getting in, used for getting up or swinging in. :D

Forum statistics