Off roading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
Ok so i went off roading today... Needles to say I got stuck... Need to get mud tires. But any way some other guy got stuck and I offered to help. He asked what engine I had and I said 305. He said nah he'll wait cuz I'll blow a 305 tryin to pull him out. Said I needed a 350 instead. Is there any truth to this? I know 305s aren't popular for performance, but blowin it tryin to pull something? I don't know about that.... But also some other dude said old trucks like mine have sucky transmissions and in general should stay on road. In general they all said nothin about my truck was suited for off road and only more modern trucks are tough enough. I'll agree with them that my tires aren't.... But do they have a clue what they were talkin about? Cuz I've been under the impression my 305 700r4 and axles etc are all decently stout.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Ok so i went off roading today... Needles to say I got stuck... Need to get mud tires. But any way some other guy got stuck and I offered to help. He asked what engine I had and I said 305. He said nah he'll wait cuz I'll blow a 305 tryin to pull him out. Said I needed a 350 instead. Is there any truth to this? I know 305s aren't popular for performance, but blowin it tryin to pull something? I don't know about that.... But also some other dude said old trucks like mine have sucky transmissions and in general should stay on road. In general they all said nothin about my truck was suited for off road and only more modern trucks are tough enough. I'll agree with them that my tires aren't.... But do they have a clue what they were talkin about? Cuz I've been under the impression my 305 700r4 and axles etc are all decently stout.

The 305/700R4 isn't the greatest for offroad, but I'd take a squarebody any day for offroading over a "newer modern" truck.

heavyleft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10/K5
Engine Size
350ci
Those guys dont know what they are talking about. Blowing your engine is in the skinny pedal and lack of technique.....just dont over do it. I yank and tug many of vehicles out of some deep holes. 305/350...pssht!

Yanked my buddy out of this ugly hole last year with no issues.

Here's the video of him really getting himself stuck before I yanked him out. Dont mind the video...my 13 y/o was taking the video.....lol.

You must be registered for see images attach

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
The 305/700R4 isn't the greatest for offroad, but I'd take a squarebody any day for offroading over a "newer modern" truck.

Yea but would I really blow my engine pulling them? Doesn't sound right to me.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
Those guys dont know what they are talking about. Blowing your engine is in the skinny pedal and lack of technique.....just dont over do it. I yank and tug many of vehicles out of some deep holes. 305/350...pssht!

Yanked my buddy out of this ugly hole last year with no issues.

Here's the video of him really getting himself stuck before I yanked him out. Dont mind the video...my 13 y/o was taking the video.....lol.

You must be registered for see images attach

Exactly! I figured he had just abused the engine. ******* haha... But I'll forgive em for that cuz they also said my truck was too nice to be offroading :)

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yea but would I really blow my engine pulling them? Doesn't sound right to me.

No, that guy was a D-bag. The worst thing that could happen is your 305 just didn't have the balls to pull him out. And newer trucks suck off the road when they are stock. They lack ground clearance and have WAY to much plastic cladding crap that gets in the way.

Oh yeah, the 700r4 is great for off road too. It's weaknesses usually show themselves at higher speeds and hauling loads.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
No, that guy was a D-bag. The worst thing that could happen is your 305 just didn't have the balls to pull him out. And newer trucks suck off the road when they are stock. They lack ground clearance and have WAY to much plastic cladding crap that gets in the way.

Oh yeah, the 700r4 is great for off road too. It's weaknesses usually show themselves at higher speeds and hauling loads.

Yeah I figured. I just didn't argue with all of em cuz I already looked stupid enough stuck with my road tires in barely any mud.... Lookin like a fool already haha

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Let's just say he saved your ass from looking like a fool though and he looked like the fool. You're truck with a 305, a 4.3 or even an Inline 6 250 would pull someone out with the right tires, axles and technique. Not so sure why so many don't understand it, wheeling is more about traction than it is about horsepower. Likely what would have kept you from getting him out was your radial tires.

Let's put it this way, a truck with 4.88 gears, an NP208 with a deeper crawl ratio, and good lockers and tires and an Inline 6 250cu in would have better luck getting that guy out than a truck with a 3.08 gears an NP203 and a peg legger front axle and LSD rear axle with a 454 Big Block. The truck with the better traction, better gear reduction wins that battle. Sure the 454 can make up alot of compensation, but without being able to get the power to the ground in traction, it's a worthless effort.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
Let's just say he saved your ass from looking like a fool though and he looked like the fool. You're truck with a 305, a 4.3 or even an Inline 6 250 would pull someone out with the right tires, axles and technique. Not so sure why so many don't understand it, wheeling is more about traction than it is about horsepower. Likely what would have kept you from getting him out was your radial tires.

Let's put it this way, a truck with 4.88 gears, an NP208 with a deeper crawl ratio, and good lockers and tires and an Inline 6 250cu in would have better luck getting that guy out than a truck with a 3.08 gears an NP203 and a peg legger front axle and LSD rear axle with a 454 Big Block. The truck with the better traction, better gear reduction wins that battle. Sure the 454 can make up alot of compensation, but without being able to get the power to the ground in traction, it's a worthless effort.

Couldn't agree more, worst that would likely happen if I tried to pull him would be spinning the tires

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Couldn't agree more, worst that would likely happen if I tried to pull him would be spinning the tires

And that's exactly what would have happened. You'd have just spun tires and not even sling mud.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
If I was stuck I would let anyone pull me out, whatever they got. That guy was a *******. I had a Jeep Cherokee with a 6 cylinder pull me up a long, steep, muddy hill one time when I broke a front driveshaft. There was no way I could get up that hill in 2WD and going the other way had another steep muddy hill. I was glad he pulled me out of that jam.

sean1960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom GMC
Engine Size
It's all technique! Use a strap (not a chain) and use momentum. The weight of your truck and it's momentum is what will free a stuck truck not the size of your motor. although a 454 wouldn't hurt.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If I was stuck I would let anyone pull me out, whatever they got. That guy was a *******. I had a Jeep Cherokee with a 6 cylinder pull me up a long, steep, muddy hill one time when I broke a front driveshaft. There was no way I could get up that hill in 2WD and going the other way had another steep muddy hill. I was glad he pulled me out of that jam.

hahahah, yeah, you kinda shut off the brand knocking when you're stuck and need a tug huh !!! :High 5:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It's all technique! Use a strap (not a chain) and use momentum. The weight of your truck and it's momentum is what will free a stuck truck not the size of your motor. although a 454 wouldn't hurt.

That and there is actually more than 1 proper technique depending on the situation of the vehicle stuck, as in weight, how it's stuck and in what. And also where your vehicle it is in, it's weight etc, whether it also be in mud, dry dirt, grass or dry pavement. Lots of different parameters to consider. I usually have a 100ft cable and a 25ft tow strap. Carrying chains is heavy, although I do have about six 25ft chains. If I needed them I'd use them.

The ones that crack me up are the ones that just get in and give it hell and sling mud or just spin tires and end up stuck themselves. :rofl:

sean1960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom GMC
Engine Size
That and there is actually more than 1 proper technique depending on the situation of the vehicle stuck, as in weight, how it's stuck and in what. And also where your vehicle it is in, it's weight etc, whether it also be in mud, dry dirt, grass or dry pavement. Lots of different parameters to consider. I usually have a 100ft cable and a 25ft tow strap. Carrying chains is heavy, although I do have about six 25ft chains. If I needed them I'd use them.

The ones that crack me up are the ones that just get in and give it hell and sling mud or just spin tires and end up stuck themselves. :rofl:

True!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub