Off roading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
I had an 86 fullsize K-10 with an absolutely gutless 4.3 V-6 in it, 10 bolt axles with 3.42 gears and an SM465 and I pulled out tons of stuck folks. One guy had his mom's Ford Fairmont station wagon buried so deep in the mud that it poured in every time he opened the door. I hooked up the strap, threw my truck in reverse and just towed him right out without spinning the tires. Granted I had a manual tranny, but I have an auto now and I still pull out people when I come upon them.

And as far as the 700r4 being weak, yeah, it's not as strong as a TH400, but as long as you keep it cool, (a GOOD cooler, not a bargain bin one), then you should have no problems. Heat is the #1 killer of any auto tranny, plain and simple.

Dude was an asshat and he deserved to get stuck and stay stuck.

Last edited:

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Aslong as you have the gearing to turn the tires that can get traction and the motor to turn the gears and not bog down then you can pull just about anything out

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I had an 86 fullsize K-10 with an absolutely gutless 4.3 V-6 in it, 10 bolt axles with 3.42 gears and an SM465 and I pulled out tons of stuck folks. One guy had his mom's Ford Fairmont station wagon buried so deep in the mud that it poured in every time he opened the door. I hooked up the strap, threw my truck in reverse and just towed him right out without spinning the tires. Granted I had a manual tranny, but I have an auto now and I still pull out people when I come upon them.

And as far as the 700r4 being weak, yeah, it's not as strong as a TH400, but as long as you keep it cool, (a GOOD cooler, not a bargain bin one), then you should have no problems. Heat is the #1 killer of any auto tranny, plain and simple.

Dude was an asshat and he deserved to get stuck and stay stuck.

Now that just sounds like a neat truck. With knobby tires, you basically have a tractor. Replacing the sm465 with an auto of any kind would probably ruin it, IMHO.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
i figured those guys were idiots. they ended up worse off than i was stuck sideways in a ditch. some dude with a four wheeler pulled me out and i left em haha

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
Now that just sounds like a neat truck. With knobby tires, you basically have a tractor. Replacing the sm465 with an auto of any kind would probably ruin it, IMHO.

It was an ok truck, but that 4.3 was carb'd with a Rochester Q-jet. :yucky: It would bog down under hard acceleration and going up any steep hills required downshifting like a mutha!. I had that thing for 2 years and sold it in 1995.

I kinda wish I had the knowledge then that I have now because I would've just yanked the 4.3 out and thrown a 350 in there. I thought it would require tons of fab work but it would've just bolted right in. All I would've needed was a new distributor and exhaust work.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It was an ok truck, but that 4.3 was carb'd with a Rochester Q-jet. :yucky: It would bog down under hard acceleration and going up any steep hills required downshifting like a mutha!. I had that thing for 2 years and sold it in 1995.

I kinda wish I had the knowledge then that I have now because I would've just yanked the 4.3 out and thrown a 350 in there. I thought it would require tons of fab work but it would've just bolted right in. All I would've needed was a new distributor and exhaust work.

You could have also kept the 4.3 and changed out the metering rods in the Qjet and that 4.3 would have come to life. Keep in mind, the Qjet is a 750 CFM. Take advatage of the ability to move 750 cubic feet of air per minute which is not gonna happen in a 4.3, but lower the fuel intake by changing the metering rods and it will take in all the air it can. Point is, that 4.3 could have ran very well too with the Qjet.

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
I agree but like I said, I didn't have nearly the knowledge of vehicles I have now. I really wish I could re-locate a couple of my old trucks and give them the love they needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub