OEM Seat vinyl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letenn

Reaction score
First Name
Lawrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Hello All,
I was working on my newly acquired 1978 GMC C15. Took off the nasty saddle blanket seat cover and found the original seats were in this super cool vinyl plaid pattern. Is this material available anywhere? Unfortunately most of the seat is dry rotted. So it will have to get recovered.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Some of those vinyls are still available NOS but at $100 plus a yard. I saw something similar at the upholstery shop about a month ago for $35 a yard. Not the same pattern but a similar look.

letenn

Reaction score
First Name
Lawrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Cool, Thanks. I thought it would be solid color. Is this a local shop you went to, or an online retailer?

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I highly recommend picking your vinyl in person or at bare minimum ordering a swatch to look at before purchase. Internet photos don't really do vinyl any justice, it can have an odd sheen, ugly texture, or real low quality looking color or design that you wont be able to notice in a photo.

The guy doing my interior also warned me about only choosing marine or automotive rated products. He did a custom blue seat for a guy's '72 K10 and told the guy the vinyl he picked wasn't any good but the guy insisted because he liked the color. The guy complained when the seat only lasted a year, the sun discolored it and it started getting brittle.

letenn

Reaction score
First Name
Lawrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Do you think that vinyl pattern was original to the truck? I'd only seen variations of solid colors. I had a 1978 GMC Jimmy that had the plaid seats, but they were cloth. Mine is a printed plaid vinyl.

Bassman53

Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250 in line 6
The seat in my 76 C10 is the same color and i was wondering if it was still available too. I would like to have the same seat back. If the material is that expensive i could buy a new cover for the material cost. Bobby