OBD I Cable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I was gonna get an OBD I to OBD II converter and an OBD II to USB cable and connect that to TunerPro RT on my laptop so I could look at the serial data on my computer. Do you think the adapter and the cable would work? I come out cheaper that way than buying an OBD I cable, and I don't want to make one.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I was gonna get an OBD I to OBD II converter and an OBD II to USB cable and connect that to TunerPro RT on my laptop so I could look at the serial data on my computer. Do you think the adapter and the cable would work? I come out cheaper that way than buying an OBD I cable, and I don't want to make one.

I know you dont want to make one but....
I made my cable real cheap n easy FWIW
http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13194

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Using obd2 to usb would not work on obd1. In the thread mentioned above is exact same thing as obd1 to usb for exception of using bare wires. And adapter obd1 to obd2 can be used for the connector part making total cost $15.

6-8 years ago making a cable was soldering a transistor network, now it is just a matter of buying ttl to usb adapter and all is taken care of

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Using obd2 to usb would not work on obd1. In the thread mentioned above is exact same thing as obd1 to usb for exception of using bare wires. And adapter obd1 to obd2 can be used for the connector part making total cost $15.

6-8 years ago making a cable was soldering a transistor network, now it is just a matter of buying ttl to usb adapter and all is taken care of

What specifically would I need to fabricate this cable without soldering stuff?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
The adapter in that thred. Then buy some jumper wire that will plug in to the header. Other side of the jumper wire can be just stuffed in to the aldl connector.

Last edited:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
The adapter in that threa. Then buy some jumper wire that will plug in to the header. Other side of the jumper wire can be just stuffed in to the aldl connector.

That module came with jumpers. I just cut them so I could connect my wires to them.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
So the plug slipped over the prongs, you merged the two wires and plugged the single one into the serial data connector?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
So the plug slipped over the prongs, you merged the two wires and plugged the single one into the serial data connector?

It came with 3 or 4 jumpers. Each jumper was a wire with two single female ends that fit on a single pin. I cut two of them in half and attached two ends together with the data or positive line. They are plugged int the RX and TX pins and the ground is on the ground or - pin. It came with the usb cable. It was simple as pie to make! Finding a driver was difficult but my writeup has a link to one as well as info on finding the files you need to read log live data. This was a must have in my book if you need to troubleshoot a TBI.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
It came with 3 or 4 jumpers. Each jumper was a wire with two single female ends that fit on a single pin. I cut two of them in half and attached two ends together with the data or positive line. They are plugged int the RX and TX pins and the ground is on the ground or - pin. It came with the usb cable. It was simple as pie to make! Finding a driver was difficult but my writeup has a link to one as well as info on finding the files you need to read log live data. This was a must have in my book if you need to troubleshoot a TBI.

Thanks, bud. I've already ordered a serial adapter with the jumper wires. Thanks for the write up. All that will help when I've made the unit and need to take care of the computer end.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I tried to do what you did with finding a cheap one before, and I couldn't find any. I have an old Amazon gift card, and I've ordered the hardware and downloaded the driver and the Tuner Pro RT software. I don't understand some of it, though. I understand how to make the cable, and that I need the driver so the truck can talk to the software, but I'm a little hazy on why George needed the part number and chip identification.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Different engines of course have different chips, you need the correct file to connect to the ECM.

You would probably do best with WinALDL for now, it's very easy to understand and gives much of the same info.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Different engines of course have different chips, you need the correct file to connect to the ECM.

You would probably do best with WinALDL for now, it's very easy to understand and gives much of the same info.

What software would I need for that besides the program itself? Can I run the same driver?

EDIT: I just saw on something that WinALDL is compatible only with Windows 7 and lower. I can figure out the other one. I think.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehernandez