NV 4500 oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1984dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
8.1L
Swapping my Dually from a 4L80E to a NV4500 manual trans. Most use Redline MT-85 or 90 oil. Can't get it around where i live without ordering it. Any other GL-4 rated oil that can be used? Been looking at John Deere Hygard as it is GL-4 rated. Run it in all my race transmissions and it holds up very good and takes a lot of heat. Opinions??

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
I looked into this when I replaced mine. If the trans still has the carbon syncros you really need the MT85. It's the closest thing out to the factory oil specification wise. Other oils can cause issues in the long run, these trans are very picky about that from what I've seen

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The 4500 wil only live and be happy with a few specific oils. Don't know where your at but I have to order the fluids myself. On the plus side, you will pay less and can usually get it within 2-3 days. I wish I could still find the gm/Dodge stuff but I haven't been able to find it lately. I'm using the Redline in mine now and it works well. Not as well as the OEM stuff but that ship has sailed. My next oil will be amsoil. I've had great luck with their products. I would shy away from anything that doesn't specifically say for use in the 4500. It's not worth taking the chance of contaminating those carbon fiber synchros. Once that happens you'll be rebuilding the trans. I just built one, it's a lot of work, time and money. That's my $.02.
Linky: https://www.thebestoil.com/product/...ransmission-and-transaxle-gear-lube-gl-4-mtg/

Last edited: