Best oil? Type, brand, viscosity, additives, etc.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I am still going through the initial break-in on my rebuild. I used the lucas 30w break-in oil for the initial 500 miles with a filter change after the initial cam break-in and driving procedure. Then I changed to the 10w-30 valvoline conventional. I'll run that for the first oil change interval(about 3-5,000 miles) and will then go to a 5w-30 Mobil 1 synthetic for the foreseeable future.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I like that info. So for initial break in use a whole 16oz bottle, then the next 1000 mile change after that, use maybe 1/3 to a 1/4 bottle. And a 1/4 or less for subsequent oil changes.

And my reason for choosing the K&N gold, is from the research done on a show I like to watch called Engine Matsers. They tested about 20-30 different types of filters, and the k&n out performed Wix and AC Delco, and all others. It actually tied a couple other brands in the particular field, but on all fronts, it seems like the best choice over all.
I'd suggest watching that episode. It was pretty interesting. Engine Masters oil filter debacle.
Thanks, I will check that one out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes