Noise Coming From TC/Flexplate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The title gives it away, but the noise is strange and unpredictable. I thought it was the catalytic converter not having been punched correctly because it's like a rattling, tapping, ticky noise that varies with engine RPM, but it was further up than that. I stuck a vacuum wand in the tailpipe and found only a tiny leak at the front of the passenger side exhaust manifold, which I was already aware of its existence. I pulled the flexplate cover, and the noise made itself more apparent. It's always there, but sometimes it's a really soft click that you can barely hear, and the loudest it's gotten is a clattering/grinding sound. It will usually present itself after parking on an incline or driving up or down a steep incline, and it gets loud when it's warm and very rarely when cold. The loudness, when it decided to get loud, while driving can be controlled by how much I'm accelerating. If I let off, it'll taper back, and after I'm done accelerating, it'll almost go away. The torque converter and the flexplate spin true, and the converter bolts are all tight. I looked at the flexplate bolts the best I could and saw nothing out of the ordinary, but the sound is almost definitely coming from there. Engine runs great (20-22 MPG on the highway depending on how fast I'm going), and it has no top end ticking, besides the fairly tame exhaust leak, or bottom end issues. It's a 700R4 with 248,000 miles on it, never rebuilt. Fluid is good and doesn't look anything out of the ordinary. TV adjustment is good, and the transmission still shifts very nice and smooth. I feel like I missed something with the flexplate bolts, granted I did the best I could, or my torque converter is on its way out. I'm not saying that it couldn't be something like low oil pressure, and that's causing a clatter, but the jeez the engine only has 82,000 miles on it. Plus, the noise is right there at the torque converter and flexplate. I know the transmission doesn't have a ton of life left, even if it's going well now, but for what it is, how worn it is, and how old it is, it does extremely well be it in the country or big city traffic.

bedwards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Silverado
Engine Size
I don't know how well you can see it, but it sure sounds like a cracked flex plate from what you have described. It will most likely crack where it bolts to the crank.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I don't know how well you can see it, but it sure sounds like a cracked flex plate from what you have described. It will most likely crack where it bolts to the crank.

I forgot to add that. I didn't see any cracks in it, and I spun it around several times. I know they like to form around the bolts, and it's harder to see in there, but I didn't see any.

Simon

Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
350 SBC 5.7
Dealing with this same situation right now. Just made itself apparent today. Haven’t checked for an exhaust leak but I’m really hoping that’s all it is.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Try unbolting the convertor from the flex plate then moving the convertor towards the transmission, that might give You enough room to see in there and make a better determination as to if the FP is cracked.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Try checking one other simple item - Are the engine and transmission tightly bolted together?

During an engine installation I forgot to tighten the upper bolts on the bellhousing where they are right next to the firewall (needed to use a different wrench), and after a few miles I started hearing knocking at various RPM points. I first assumed I had problems with the new engine, but after going over everything it turned out the knock was the bellhousing against the transmission. I might have had more transmission movement due to wear on the old transmission mount, but it was hard to tell.

Bruce

Simon

Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
350 SBC 5.7
I’m gonna have to. Just got under her with the inspection cover off and it’s definitely coming from the flexplate area. Now that I’m listening it’s more of a squeaking sound?? This’ll be fun.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Last time I had what I was suspecting was a cracked flexplate, it all looked good visually from under the truck. After a while, it got worse... still couldn't see anything wrong. Eventually it broke nearly free and then I could see for sure that the flexplate was garbage, lol.

Simon

Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
350 SBC 5.7
Just got deep in that sh*t pile with a flashlight and yes the flexplate is cracked. Makes sense, I changed it out myself not too long ago. Seeing as how it was my first time and I did it solo I was surprised it went so well lol looks like ima have another go around. Any tips to avoid this my second time or good threads I should check?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The only real tip I have is to make sure that the flexplate sits flat against the crankshaft before tightening it down. Sorry you have to do it again that always sucks.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Make sure you DON'T have a pilot bushing in the end of the crank.

Simon

Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
350 SBC 5.7
Thanks guys. Gonna have to figure a few things out so it might be awhile. Once I get to it I’ll make sure to start a thread.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224