Noise by the flywheel and bellhousing cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steven

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
The last few days I have a ticking noise (in drive and moving seems to stop with revving or stopped) and in reverse (usually an awful screaming noise.) Last time I had this problem I did see the flywheel was grinding on the bellhousing cover (which was the motor mount which is about 4 months old now) but this time I replaced the other one and it's still there. Seems to even out when in P or N. In drive it usually doesn't screaming. just a fast tick. Not sure if anyone had ideas or not. I've heard the cracked flywheel and such, but have doubts on that since it looked fine in the engine swap and with the last motor mount.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The last few days I have a ticking noise (in drive and moving seems to stop with revving or stopped) and in reverse (usually an awful screaming noise.) Last time I had this problem I did see the flywheel was grinding on the bellhousing cover (which was the motor mount which is about 4 months old now) but this time I replaced the other one and it's still there. Seems to even out when in P or N. In drive it usually doesn't screaming. just a fast tick. Not sure if anyone had ideas or not. I've heard the cracked flywheel and such, but have doubts on that since it looked fine in the engine swap and with the last motor mount.

It would be fairly obvious if it was cracked when you had the motor out, but anything can happen. How recent was this motor swap? Pull the flexplate cover and have a look in there as best you can. I would even get a borescope and look at the area most proximal to the bolts to check for cracking. I don't have one, but they go for fifteen dollars on Amazon. The other thing is your torque converter might be failing It'll make noise in its early stages of failure, but there will also be driveability complications such as loss of power or abnormally high slippage or stalling.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Loose torque converter bolts? The RV engine I pulled a month ago sounded a bit like that, turned out it was just a loose TC bolt.

Steven

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
The motor swap was a little over a year ago. I don't really have any loss of power either. Still gets up and goes pretty quick haha also i don't really notice any of the other problems with the torque converter either

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynhigh88