No Spark, No clue...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Msd streetfire distributor has worked flawlessly for over 5 years in my sbc. Got it at Summit Racing.Around $175

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
....... cheap module failed. I changed it out in the parking lot in a suit,I still made it to my wedding on time but the pic of my wife's hand and mine at the wedding is comical, fitting, but comical.

...and she still married you? She's a keeper!

tadslc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Been measuring and rethinking everything and I'm pretty sure I have a bad pickup coil per my ohm meter readings.

Now to pull the distributor which seems like a another fun exercise...

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Been measuring and rethinking everything and I'm pretty sure I have a bad pickup coil per my ohm meter readings.

Now to pull the distributor which seems like a another fun exercise...

R&R distributor, my way. I always aim the rotor straight back at the firewall and make a reference as to where vacuum advance is pointing.I do it that way every time, that way I can walk away for 10 years walk right back up drop the distributor in with the rotor pointing at the firewall and match my vacuum advance position.As long as the engine doesn't get turned over it'll be right,1st try, every time. Since you are putting the same distributor back in you can scribe match marks on the distributor stem and intake manifold.

Last edited:

olnick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c15
Engine Size
1982 350 4 bolt mains
The quick and dirty test of the HEI dist is to turn on the ign to run position then hold a "soldering GUN " to the side close to the pickup coil this WILL provide a STEADY HOT spark if all is well with the dist!

Olnick

Brian81

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
On the fire wall just to the left of the brake booster there should be a couple of wires connecting to two posts. Take them off and clean them up. My truck did the same thing. After cleaning them up mine fired right up.

tadslc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
On the fire wall just to the left of the brake booster there should be a couple of wires connecting to two posts. Take them off and clean them up. My truck did the same thing. After cleaning them up mine fired right up.

Sounds interesting, I'll do that later, what do I have to lose.

Do you know what they go to?

tadslc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The quick and dirty test of the HEI dist is to turn on the ign to run position then hold a "soldering GUN " to the side close to the pickup coil this WILL provide a STEADY HOT spark if all is well with the dist!

Olnick

I did read that "test" but it says it requires at least a 450W soldering gun which I don't have. I'll ask around

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
You must be registered for see images attach
Well I went to the jegs website in their reviews 7 people gave it a great rating 4 said it was total junk 1 bad new from the box 1 failed in like 20 miles I don't remember the others. I do not know if GM weights and cams will work in these distributors. Mostly what my point is if it costs 130.00 to buy the pieces to go through a distributor with good parts,how can someone build the entire thing new with quality parts sell it for 1/2 that and still make a profit. It just doesn't add up.And judging from the jegs reviews you have a better than 50/50 chance of being happy. I personally would fix my O.E. distributor or source a good used O.E. distributor.And an adjustable vacuum advance does not help you dial in initial timing.Initial plus centrifugal need to equal right around 36. The vacuum advance comes in on top of that to get you around 48 degrees .

Just because something is expensive, doesn't mean it is better quality. There are numerous threads on here where someone had their brand new AC Delco module bad out of the box.

The internal structure of the distributor is identical to OEM. You can use OEM weights and springs.

How does being able to adjust your vacuum advance NOT help you to dial in your timing? In my previous post I said it was nice to have it adjustable because it helped me get everything dialed in the way I wanted. When I first installed the distributor, I was having a slight ping at low load cruise and was able to just adjust the vacuum advance back a few degrees. If you have a non-adjustable vacuum can, you would have to pull initial to get rid of that ping.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Just because something is expensive, doesn't mean it is better quality. There are numerous threads on here where someone had their brand new AC Delco module bad out of the box.

The internal structure of the distributor is identical to OEM. You can use OEM weights and springs.

How does being able to adjust your vacuum advance NOT help you to dial in your timing? In my previous post I said it was nice to have it adjustable because it helped me get everything dialed in the way I wanted. When I first installed the distributor, I was having a slight ping at low load cruise and was able to just adjust the vacuum advance back a few degrees. If you have a non-adjustable vacuum can, you would have to pull initial to get rid of that ping.
AND Just because something's cheap doesnt mean it's good!!!!!
Usually the more expensive product is the better product.Look at the jegs reviews,I didn't write them, but at least 50% as many bad,as good.And I'd bet 1/2 the good reviews were written the day they were installed, not a year later.Now to set up timing you figure centrifugal and initial that is your total than you add vacuum advance on top the vacuum advance does not help you dial in total. If the dizzy has 18 internal as most aftermarket do you need 18 initial to get 36. If the dizzy has 24 centrifugal you need 12 initial to get 36.If your trying to set total with vacuum advance you're doing it wrong. Now if your vacuum can has to much travel, yes it needs to be limited, the factory had multiple vacuum cans, yours is a 1 size fits all, tweak to fit.Why do you think the factory had 100s of combinations of advance curves?

Last edited:

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Not a fan of the cheap dizzy. Have yet to have one last for more than 2 years before falling apart. Got in the habit of getting a $5 dizzy out of wrecking yard and rebuilding it, adding the goodies I want to it...may cost more in the end, but worth not having to mess with it again.

silver123

Reaction score
First Name
victor
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Check the Diode in the distributor,famous for failing and always carry a spare !!! 2x happening abd a easy fix !!! Just saying

tadslc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Check the Diode in the distributor,famous for failing and always carry a spare !!! 2x happening abd a easy fix !!! Just saying

What is the diode in the distributor you are referring to?

tadslc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I went ahead and ordered a rebuilt distributor from Rock Auto. It's an AC Delco and should be as direct fit as possible + it comes with a new pickup coil.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54