No Spark, No clue...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Put a test light on the tach terminal of the distributor. Turn the key on, the test light should light up. If not, either you don’t have power to the coil, or the new coil is defective.

Crank the engine, does the test light flicker? If not, the coil isn’t being triggered. You could have a defective ignition module, bad pickup coil, or mechanical failure (timing chain, worn cam/distributor gears, etc).

If you have replaced the coil and module, inspect the pickup coil wires. I bet you find one either broken, or just barely hanging on by a single strand of copper wire. No signal from the pickup coil to the module, no spark.
Good call, not sure anyone mentioned that yet. Timing chain could of been streched, jumped time, worn gears...did these have the nylon ones originally...maybe never swapped and it jumped? If timing doesn't add up may need to pull the front of that motor apart....but confirm everything thing else before you do this.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Did we ask this? You sure it's not 180 out? You have been pulling distributors.

tadslc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Not what I meant, do the bypass as directed but instead of cutting the wires which you don't want to do unplug the dizzy, make 4 jumper wires. Do the bypass on the jumper wires just like you would on original harness, then post results back.

I thought I did this last evening when I jumpered the black and green wires coming from the distributor after unplugging the 4-wire harness to the ESC. I didn't do anything with the actual ESC unit itself behind the glovebox.

tadslc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Put a test light on the tach terminal of the distributor. Turn the key on, the test light should light up. If not, either you don’t have power to the coil, or the new coil is defective.

Crank the engine, does the test light flicker? If not, the coil isn’t being triggered. You could have a defective ignition module, bad pickup coil, or mechanical failure (timing chain, worn cam/distributor gears, etc).

If you have replaced the coil and module, inspect the pickup coil wires. I bet you find one either broken, or just barely hanging on by a single strand of copper wire. No signal from the pickup coil to the module, no spark.

I did put a voltmeter on the Tach terminal and got 12 volts when the ignition was on, didn't notice any fluctuation when cranking but I wasn't really looking for it. I'll try thing test again as well.

Thanks to all

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Here is a decent test sheet for HEI if it helps. https://www.gmcmi.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/HEI-Testing.pdf
Didn't see a mention, but did you check the carbon button in the cap? I've had that fall out before after a coil change, never did figure out why, just installed another one and was fine. Also had where bad contact from button to bottom of coil and ended up arcing there so no contact after that either.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I thought I did this last evening when I jumpered the black and green wires coming from the distributor after unplugging the 4-wire harness to the ESC. I didn't do anything with the actual ESC unit itself behind the glovebox.
I don't know what you did last night you said you jumpered green and black but jumpering then and still leaving them connected to the harness still has them in the esc circuit. So what I'm saying now is make a four wire jumper harness treat your 4 wire jumper harness exactly like it was the actual distributor harness and perform the bypass there.So the black and green in your jumper will be cut stripped and twisted. The other wires are still intact via jumpers to their original positions.Then if the truck starts we know it's in the esc circuit.

Last edited:

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I did put a voltmeter on the Tach terminal and got 12 volts when the ignition was on, didn't notice any fluctuation when cranking but I wasn't really looking for it. I'll try thing test again as well.

Thanks to all

You will never see a voltmeter change, the pulses will be too fast. Get a cheap test light

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
thanks guys

I tried to jumper the black and green wire from the ESC and still have a no start problem. Not ready to cut them yet...

Anyone ever replace the condenser?
This is the info I was looking at as to how you did the esc bypass. IDK what you did for sure. Matt said check power and pulse with a test light at the tech terminal. Good advice but it gas to be done with a light not a meter.

El Perdido

Reaction score
First Name
Skeeter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Suburban
Engine Size
In the 27 years I have owned my '85 K20 Suburban, it has "stopped" two times just as you describe and it has been the module on both occasions.

You having replaced yours leaves me flummoxed.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl

tadslc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Didn't get a chance to look any further last evening. I guess this will be a weekend project.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size

Thanks to all

12 volts on the TACH terminal!?
That ain't right!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK